General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride or Drive???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And now that I've posted (above) about riding to/from work, I have a question. For those of you who claim to ride when it's only in the low 30's (F) do you do so because you enjoy it?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Perch
And now that I've posted (above) about riding to/from work, I have a question. For those of you who claim to ride when it's only in the low 30's (F) do you do so because you enjoy it?
Yeah, I do.

I live in the mountains and enjoy having fun outdoors all year round. But I also have the right gear and clothing to do so.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride except when there is a chance of snow or ice. Have been known to wuss out when in the teens though. I need some heated gear. Ride to work is 70 miles round trip.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Perch
Good question ! I love riding year round,Over the years I have learned to dress warm enough to cover the parts of my body that didn't enjoy the ride. When the temps. fall below 30 my hands don't enjoy it anymore,But I press on. I am going to have to get me some heated gloves or grips. But I am too tight with my money. I wonder how long it will be until mother nature wins this battle and makes me spend the money. Hmmmmm if I can just hold out until Christmas.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
kuxika
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Good question ! I love riding year round,Over the years I have learned to dress warm enough to cover the parts of my body that didn't enjoy the ride. When the temps. fall below 30 my hands don't enjoy it anymore,But I press on. I am going to have to get me some heated gloves or grips. But I am too tight with my money. I wonder how long it will be until mother nature wins this battle and makes me spend the money. Hmmmmm if I can just hold out until Christmas.
I don't have the problem of below 30...my problem is the temp is 90 and above with the heat index going over the 100's during the mid-day...kinda like that guy from texas said seasons are hot and hotter

But I ride because I enjoy it!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer

i ride reguardless of temperature but try to stay off the road when there is ice on the ground or raining. i'll drive at that point.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
02flh
Cruiser

I ride and my work is on the road hunting addresses in SE Mi. I get 10,000 miles a year. I have driven a cage about 4 times this season. Somebody said arn't you worried about wearing it out, I figure they don't ride. 45,000mi and ready for more tires. Don over and out.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM
jd533
Road Captain

I split it up. Love to ride but sometimes take the truck. I don't know what it means to winterize the bike like I do the mower and stuff. I ride 12 months a year but can't remember if I ever rode below zero, the scenery on the way to work aint that great.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Oiltop Pirate
Road Captain

I RIDE unless it's raining or below 50 degrees for the whole day. I'm a Texas boy and do not do well in cold weather. Now you northern boys can flame away! Can't say that I blame you!

Last edited by Oiltop Pirate; 10-05-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Ride, if at all possible. I don't ride in snow, and prefer not to ride in rain in heavy city traffic. I like rain, but all the other guys on the road tend to become utter idiots under rain.
I ride to work every day, but since that's just 4 km, I'm not putting on much mileage.

Quick Reply: Ride or Drive???