General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Article about Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the article and I think I'm echoing most comments already made. It's a shame that the family run and owned businesses that are very successful seem to be the ones pushed by the big corps.

Too bad they don't see the value in that.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

One thing that is missing here is the Harley corporate strategy. Sure, it sounds pretty rotten of them not to let a successful dealer do his own thing but the suits are looking at every dealer all over the country and Harley as a corporation. It would be nice to know what they foresee as the future of the company and the dealers. I would imagine that they have commissioned psychological studies of buying habits and have a long term map of where they want the company positioned into the future. I'm no different from anyone else and I like to go into the dealer store and have people know me by name, but, I also like to go into a large, well appointed dealership with lots of chrome goodies, clothes and accessories (and hope they still remember me). Sure wish Willie G would show up here to let us know what is going on.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Exprof
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robinson Motorcycles

Used to be called Robinson Harley Davidson. Sold Harleys for over 20 years. They are outside of Wheatley, Ontario Canada. After the owner, Jim Robinson, died from a heart attack while doing some test runs on a dirt track, Deeley (Harley Davidson Canada) yanked their franchise.

If you visit this mom and pop operation, you'll swear you're back in the 50's. It's small and personal. That's part of the reason they lost their franchise. They weren't willing to build a 10,000 square foot showroom, half of which would be devoted to Motor Clothes. Also, other dealers in the area complained that Robinson's was cutting into their business - boohoo! They could probably give better deals because they didn't have the massive overhead.

Revenge is sweet, though. Now they are probably the biggest dealer in "used" Harleys in Canada.

Check them out at http://robinsonmotorcycle.com/

Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverslider
Next thing you know they will be called Harley Boutiques.
The clothing section of an HD dealer *is* already called the boutique.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Yep but the big boys are and will still get there golden parachutes... on the way out and us peons will share and get whats left.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

WTF ! Hey MOCO Let - IT - Be.

These times are a changin. Stick to your guns Fresno . (Mellisa.....) we need more dealerships like yours.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting Article about Harley-mvc-054s.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
jwlehman
Road Master

I really don't care what the shops look like. I live out in the boonies, so both area dealers are an hour away. I spend as little time as possible at the dealer unless I need something. Let them weave their web.

As long as they make a bike I like, at a price I am willing to pay, I will be a customer. I guess I don't have the emotional attachment or involvement that others do with the dealers.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
RockerNezz
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I know several people who bought from Robinson's and said the same thing. Thunder Road (Windsor 30 mins away) was peaved that even their customers were taking their bikes to Robinson's for service. This corporate "glove" has to go.