General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer problem Eastern Harley Riverhead NY

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
skidz5453
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer problem Eastern Harley Riverhead NY

OK...........

On August 22nd 2009 approximately 10am me and a few buddies (one looking for a MC) took a ride to New Rochelle Harley (66.6 Miles away from my house) to look at bikes (i dunno why, i just went for the ride on my victory hammer) Well as of 1600hrs on that same day i was the proud owner of a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra limited. I have since tallied close to 2000 miles on her. This past weekend ( sept 18th to the 19th ) we decided to go riding north... Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island. Prior to leaving i was just over the 1000 mile marker and i called Eastern Harley Davidson in Riverhead, Suffolk County NY and wanted to get my first check up and Oil. They said i could make an appointment ( i was concerned going much over 1000 miles and was told don't worry you will be fine ) so i made an appointment for this Wednesday, the 23rd of Sept. and i could drop it off the night before. I call them today to order the front bra for the faring and a chrome that goes with it, roughly $130 in parts plus labor for them to install it (i am lazy). After work (1500hrs) i rush the bike down there sign the paperwork and the service guy tells me it will be done by 1500hrs tomorrow.....perfect right...........Well you would think so!!!!!

I arrive home 15 minutes later and the phone is ringing....its Eastern Harley Davidson......the man on the phone (owner )say's ..

"James Skidmore"

I Answer "Yes"

Owner "We cant service your bike"

Me "Why"

Owner "We Don't Service Bikes You Didn't Buy Here...We Take Care Of Our Own"

Me "What, Why"

Owner "We Take Car Of Our Own"

Me "So what Does That Mean"

Owner "Come get your bike"

the the phone hangs up...

So i call HD customer service who seem as shocked as i am and they in turn call him and come back to me and say i am so so sorry we have never had this happen...all i can say is we are sorry.

I then go down to pick up my bike and introduce myself to the owner and ask him why...the long and short of it is he does not want my money (oil change service and parts i ordered, plus future service and additional parts i may swap or add) because i purchased the bike from NEWROC Harley and that guy is a pig..... i said so where i purchase my bike plays a role in weather or not you will service it and i was told " guys like me go to pigs like him without giving us a chance"

I have never in my life come across such an egotistical *******, I didn't intend to buy a bike that day, but had i and shopped around and an Arizona Harley dealer was giving me the best price for my hard earned money i would have purchased it there and expected any dealer to service it...as i would have with a ford, jeep, chevy or any other vehicle.

I though that Harley owners were one big family as would have been the case with all motorcycle owners.....but this takes the cake. Is it me or is this guy totally off base. I could understand if the first service was free.......but c-mon.... I WAS PAYING FOR IT.....WTF

ok well my fingers and brain hurt......

Opinions, aside from the fact that he has the right to service anyone he wants, do you agree his reasoning and punishing me was totally off base........or what?

-Skidz

Edit: Dealer In Bohemia Said They Would Service My Bike And Never Heard Of Such A Thing As What Riverhead Pulled!!!!!

Last edited by skidz5453; 09-23-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Add More Info
Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

That's crazy! I would think in this day and time a dealer would be happy to have the service work. Maybe this will give you incentive to do your own service.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

The dealers in this are are not to happy with NewRoc HD. I've heard a few complaints in my travels to dealers. NewRoc likes to deal.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Un f***ing believable! I can't imagine a business owner saying crap like that. His business must be doing great to turn away customers in times like this. You'd think they'd happily take the work and hope you remember them next time you want another bike.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by golfblues
The dealers in this are are not to happy with NewRoc HD. I've heard a few complaints in my travels to dealers. NewRoc likes to deal.
Sounds like New Rochelle wants to sell bikes. More power to them. I hope more dealers start thinking that way!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Baltimore. Shopped around locally and regionally via phone and internet.

Landed a deal with a dealership in southern WV. New River Gorge H-D. Bought the bike that weekend and brought it back to Bmore.

Haven't had a single issue getting service and warranty work done through H-D of MD in Elkridge, just south of Bmore. They have been great and never once brought up the fact I didn't buy the bike from them.

This guy is way off base. Treating a customer like that is not the norm.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont mind the 2 hour drive, head over to Danbury HD. They'll work on your bike.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
I live in Baltimore. Shopped around locally and regionally via phone and internet.

Landed a deal with a dealership in southern WV. New River Gorge H-D. Bought the bike that weekend and brought it back to Bmore.

Haven't had a single issue getting service and warranty work done through H-D of MD in Elkridge, just south of Bmore. They have been great and never once brought up the fact I didn't buy the bike from them.

This guy is way off base. Treating a customer like that is not the norm.
My experience has been exactly the same. I bought my bike out of state and neither of the two area dealers have any problem doing warranty work or selling me parts.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM
wideglide78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Ive worked in car dealers as a service tech for years. We go out of our way to service cars that were bought at other dealers. Their money is just as good as someone who bought a car from our dealership. I cant believe the MOCO wouldnt do something about that, but it doesnt seem like the MOCO gives 2 sh*ts about customer service after what I have read on this forum over the years!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

bought my bike about 75 miles from where I Lived ,
the Local Santa Cruz harley told me I had to buy Local...
I said Here's the Price I'm Gettin Out The Door....
You match it I'll buy from you , said he couldn't do it
I said OK ,
and bought from the other dealer about 2K less out the door
had all my services and Warranty Work done there
at the Local Shop never any Problems...
After the 1 year warranty , I do all my own Work now
Santa Cruz Closed about a year ago

Quick Reply: Dealer problem Eastern Harley Riverhead NY