General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer problem Eastern Harley Riverhead NY

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to own a business that sold franchise products. It hurts like hell to borrow money from a bank and pay interest, advertise, pay employees put on promotions and then lose a deal to another dealer from "your" local customer. Your first impression is to get even by not servicing the product they bought, and you think that maybe this will influence the them to buy from you next time. Normally you make a larger percentage of profit on sales versus service. So you think you have lost more than you can recoup from doing their service.

Well in the long run that philosophy is counter productive, plain wrong and will cost you money and alienate customers. It is hard to do but you must keep you mouth shut and do your best to keep the customer happy. That is the only way you stand a chance to get them to once again to become not only a loyal customer but any kind of customer.

Most customers don't consider that the business owner takes it personally but they do.
So some dealers must and I say must change their attitudes. Dealers, if you don't believe what I said then ask yourself why customer have good things to say about dealers who service their products no matter where they bought it.

Treat your customers well and they will remain YOUR customers. If they stray every now and then thats the facts of life. Treat them good and they will be back.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to know what action…if any MOCO decides to take against a dealer refusing service. So much for having a national service network if dealers start pulling this crap!

Last edited by TheJimer; 09-24-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Most dealer agreements state that a dealer is responsible for providing service on any of the companies products. I doubt the MoCo would pull a franchise over one poor service complaint. But if a dealer no longer represents the MoCo in a favorable light they may be in violation of their dealer agreement and sanctions may happen. The regional sales reps has more power in continuing a dealer than most people realize.

Dealers just have to suck it up and be professional not emotional.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting post. Quite frankly, I've never heard of such a thing! Several years ago,(2007), I decided to buy a new bike. The dealer that I had previously bought two new bikes from, wouldn't work a deal with me on the bike I wanted. So, I went and purchased from a dealer that would. Over the years, I had developed a good working relationship with the previous dealer's service dept. I went to the service manager to say goodbye, explaining that I had purchased from another dealer and I would probably take my new bike to the new dealer for my servicework. He told me that they would be very happy to continue my service work on the new bike, and any warranty work required, just to keep my business. They have performed all my work on the new bike and never even balked about it.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

A few yrs ago I went to Ocala fl to possibly buy a new road king...
After the buyers sheet was written,I inquired what the $3000 accessory
package was.. Oh he says u don't live in Ocala and we don't
want u buying stuff from anyone else so u will have $3000
store credit to accessorize with after this add on!! I said excuse me but this is America and I will buy my stuff including my bike some fokking place else!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:35 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

I think you should write an official complaint to the MOCO and request an explaination, I think any HD dealer is duty bound to perform the service, however I would not take my bike back there as you never know what he might do to it. Tell all your friends and in the long run he might be another business that shuts down due to lack of support

Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

That is nuts and crazy. Move on find another dealer that is close I am sure they will be happy to take your money for service.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Cross that one off Ur list...
I've had 3 different dealer do my 1-5-10-15 K services..all within 45 miles of home..Nary a one of them said nuthing bout U didn't getter here..

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
That's crazy! I would think in this day and time a dealer would be happy to have the service work. Maybe this will give you incentive to do your own service.
+1

Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I tell you what, if you don't want to do your maintenance yourself or you don't have time, find a good independent mechanic close to your house and have him perform it. Mine is cheap, professional, knowledgeable, meticulous and courteous. The local HD dealers will only touch my bike for warranty work, nothing else.

Quick Reply: Dealer problem Eastern Harley Riverhead NY