General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
2500 mile oil changes? The manual says 5000 miles. I'll bet the dealer told you that to get you in more often to put the squeeze on you for a stage 1 upgrade, or how about a big bore kit, or we can put a stroker kit in for ya. Or to talk with their "chrome consultant". That ones my favorite. There's no reason to change you oil that often some people do that feel a Harley is that fragile and needs to be babied. Alot of people have cars that cost more then a Harley does, and do they change their oil that often?. I'm guessin no.,,,
IIRC the intervals for HD use to be every 2500 or 3K miles.

My bikes get changed between that mark. My cars go 5K miles. Why? My cars are not air cooled engines.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by LRS
Mine runs cooler with synthetic, and I change it every 5k. Keeping an air cooled engine running cool is key to longivity.

I use Amsoil and change it out every 5K, but I really don't notice the engine running any cooler.

If you are changing out the oil every 2500 miles, there's no need to use synthetic oil...JMHO.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Naw, not for longer useage, just does so much better at the temps the Air cooled HD motor runs at...

Cars/ water cooled, runs at <180* bout any oil will work..
HD runs anywhere from 190- 260, pends on what yr, and work done. So the syn just holds up better over the long run...

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LRS
Mine runs cooler with synthetic, and I change it every 5k. Keeping an air cooled engine running cool is key to longivity.
This is the reason that I run Mobil 1 synthetic.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
mjaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

For the added protection synthetic oil gives your engine,it's worth the extra cost. You spend good money to own a Harley,why not use the best?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 car oil in my aluminum engines since '89 and wouldn't think of changing. I still use straight weight HD oil in the iron beasts however. Synthetic leaks out too quickly.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The use of synthetic oil has NO advantage in a non-high performance engine running in moderate climates. period.

If you think a harley engine is high performance you are sorely mistaken.

The only two practical advantages a synthetic oil has is that it can withstand higher tempertures and it flows better at lower temperatures. So if you live in the desert and you find yourself constantly stuck in traffic where your engine heats up then you might consider synthetic, or if you ride in the winter in sub-freezing temperatures then there is an advantage there as well.

The only other benefit it has is maybe you can go longer between oil changes, but, sythetic oil will wear out, become acidic, and eventually become saturated with particulates just like regular oil. So you have to carefully monitor the state of your oil if you're planning to leave it in for extended periods of time. This practice will void your warranty.

Folks, I am not making this up and it's not a matter of opinion. These are true facts I've posted here and you may research them yourself. Google "motor oil myths and facts". Don't read the page from mobil 1. They are naturally biased and are interested in selling you their product.

oh, and ps, this is the biggest myth of all "my engine runs cooler when I use synthetic". BS. If your engine were to run cooler that would mean the difference in temperature is due to extra friction when you use regular oil. If that was the case an engine running normal oil would last about 10 minutes then blow up due to the friction. It's balony. There is virtually NO difference in PERFORMANCE when you run synthetic vs non.

Last edited by zeus33; 09-22-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

1] withstand higher temperatures 2] flow better in colder temperatures 3] can go longer between oil changes. well zeus33 those are 3 good reasons to use synthetic oil over dino oil. And the reason they can go longer between changes is the additive package that is put in the better oils can deal with the acids that build up in oil. The detergents in say mobil 1 or Amsoil are in alot higher amounts then Harleys own hd360. You can go to bitog's site and compare them for yourself. new oil analysis and used oil analysis. And as long as you have a filter that works the particles in the oil will be kept there. Yes synthetic oils will need to be changed, but not as often.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

1] 99.9% of the bikes don't need the protection from high temperature. Under normal operating conditions your oil won't heat past the point where it breaks down. Like I said, high performance engines need the high performance oil, high perfomance engines run hot. Synthetic will not make your lawnmower last any longer, nor will it benefit your harley (unless you have a racing model)
2] sub-freezing temperatures! Impossible to ride in, no application in the case of motorcycles.
3] will void your warranty if you go past your interval. Change your filter with a good quality k&n (not the harley junk) and you should be good to go for 5000 miles.

No there is no need to put synthetic in a harley. Just like you don't need it in your lawn mower.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there actually any good arguments in favor of normal (non-synthetic) oil?

To me, the best argument in favor of synthetic is, I'm not giving money to the oil producing countries when I buy it.

Quick Reply: Why use synthetic oil?