General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Synthetic Dinosaurs were considered the upper class of the Jurassic period. Their bones were often found near pre-historic tennis courts, with wine spritzer bottles scattered about.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I ride the crap out of my bike in the mountains and i feel it gives me the extra protection i need to make my bike last...I paid good $$$ for my bike i feel i can afford a bit more protection to make it last. I go 5k to 7k miles between changes and the bike doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. Warm n fuzzy feeling i guess.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

That's why I use it,5,000 oil drain,no guilt.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all mentioned. If you're one that doesn't push the bike to extremes and are going to change it out every 2500 miles, then your engine will probably last just as long on dino. It just that syns offer a little extra for those that want it.
-better flow, cooler running temps
-easier starts, especially in cooler temps
-higher tbns, fight cumbustion acids longer
-resist oxidative and thermal breakdown at high temps-leads to sludge/varnish formation
-longer drain intervals

It's definitely a personal choice.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Synthetic Dinosaurs were considered the upper class of the Jurassic period. Their bones were often found near pre-historic tennis courts, with wine spritzer bottles scattered about.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Here in South Florida, as a personal choice, personal experience and my personal opinion, I use Wal Mart brand oil in my stock engined '09 Super Glide Custom. I change oils as scheduled at 5K miles on my Glide and at 8K miles on my '06 Gold Wing trike. (I have accumulated more than 1M motorcycle road miles over 25 different motorcycles).

After using Wal Mart brand oil on my former twin diesel motor yacht for 8 yrs and thousands of engine hours, the engines survey at time of sale came back with an excellent report.

If by chance my choice of oils screws up my Glide, which I'm willing to put money on, that it won't. I'd have an excuse to rebuild the engine bigger and better, and then I'll bow down to the "synthetic hype" and use it.

If you're going to change oils at 2,500 miles or less, even peanut oil (joking) can be used and the smell may be better at that. LOL

Let the flaming begin, till then ride safe.

Dennis

PS. Anyone ever question why European scheduled oil changes on US automobiles there are done at 10K miles, while here in the US we're told to schedule them at 3K miles?

Last edited by cptdenny; 09-22-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Inserted a word
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

2500 mile oil changes? The manual says 5000 miles. I'll bet the dealer told you that to get you in more often to put the squeeze on you for a stage 1 upgrade, or how about a big bore kit, or we can put a stroker kit in for ya. Or to talk with their "chrome consultant". That ones my favorite. There's no reason to change you oil that often some people do that feel a Harley is that fragile and needs to be babied. Alot of people have cars that cost more then a Harley does, and do they change their oil that often?. I'm guessin no.,,,

Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

syn. oil has alot better lubricating qualitys,and wont break down.on our progas drag bike about 15 years ago,we where running regular racing oil,had MAJOR p/rod & rocker arm probs(we ran a .990 lift cam),went to syn,no more probs.on our nitro bike we run 25/50 lucas syn,roller lower end,and have gone last 2 years with NO lower end or oiling probs what so ever
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

After searching you will have a year or two reading about the advantages, if it is already in the truck you probably know the answer already

Doubt the dealer is gonna go for "free" changes every 2500 miles using synthetic....or is partially "free" with you buying the oil? If you buy the oil from them then the changes are hardly "free" at dealer prices anyway. Maybe they would go for totally free at 5K using synthetic... HDs interpretation of synthetic.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Been using synthetics since earl 80's while in Florida. The heat tolerances and lubrication qualities were the main concerns. A recent study on dino oil showed the thermal breakdown as the temp increased and that protection doesn't come back. The hotter running EFI bikes can produce some high temps. The tech that did my Big Bore couldn't believe the lack of wear on the piston skirtsafter 32k miles. That's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Why use synthetic oil?