General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synthetic oil is the perfect solution for a problem that doesn't exist with our motorcycles!! I've never had or known anybody that's had or read on here about people having oil related engine failures. Whatever makes you all warm and fuzzy inside I guess!!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Synthetic oil is the perfect solution for a problem that doesn't exist with our motorcycles!! I've never had or known anybody that's had or read on here about people having oil related engine failures. Whatever makes you all warm and fuzzy inside I guess!!
I've never had or known anybody that's had or read an oil thread that was anything different than this one!!!!! LOL

Syn lovers, syn haters, either side ready to battle for their team. Hee hee.
All logic totally ignored.

The stuff costs about the same when you figure in the extended intervals.
Not even a 'rumor' that Syn can be bad for the motor, with many claims that it can help the motor. Yet still for some reason there are those that hate the thought of using it. You guys must hate your bikes! LOL

Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
The stuff costs about the same when you figure in the extended intervals.
Not even a 'rumor' that Syn can be bad for the motor, with many claims that it can help the motor.

Not quite true.

In fact up until a few years ago Harley themselves use to say that using 'synthetic oil' was not good for your V-Twin engine, that is until they started marketing their own synthetic and synthetic blend fluids.

Myself and many others ran hundreds of thousands of miles using nothing but conventional oils throughout the 1970's, 1980, and 1990's, in less efficient Panheads, Shovels, EVO's and whatever. Nobody that I've ever known has experienced any major engine issues related to the oil they were using. Most engine issues are due to operator error or lack of preventive maintenance.

Apparently Harley engines aren't nearly as wise as their owners, as they could care less what fluids you use as long as the oil and filter is changed at a reasonable interval.

And for what it's worth my Harley dealership mechanic friend has told me more than once that the majority of owners that bring their bikes in for scheduled maintenance elect to use reqular conventional oil in their engines.

The never ending debate;

Synthetic Oil Conventional Oil

Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Myself and many others ran hundreds of thousands of miles using nothing but conventional oils throughout the 1970's, 1980, and 1990's, in less efficient Panheads, Shovels, EVO's and whatever
Many of us older fella's went years without a microwave, computer and HD Tv,....... without even a complaint. Well,..... the Dial up connection years had a few complaints,.. LOL

I ride my bike pretty hard sometimes. I sure ain't gonna intentionally put oil in there that is known to break down quicker, when there are better options readily available.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-11-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LRS
Mine runs cooler with synthetic, and I change it every 5k. Keeping an air cooled engine running cool is key to longivity.
Agreed and a cheep investment!