General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, from my point of view, the argument isn't about dino vs. synthetic. I'll admit synthetic is clearly better. I just can't agree that synthetic is required or that doing regular maintenance using a good conventional oil is somehow doing your bike a disservice.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

For all you that say your bike runs cooler with synthetic oil, how do you know? If you have a temp gauge, how many degrees cooler? I am running synthetic oil now but do not have a temp gauge and apparently am not sensitive enough to feel any difference in temperature.

I DO believe that dino oil is good enough for our bikes, cars, and trucks if changed at reasonable intervals along with the oil filter(s). A friend has a Cat diesel with over 300K miles, no problems, and always used dino oil. I know others with Detroit diesels with close to a million miles and always used dino oils. I had a '46 Ford that got well over 100K miles before there was synthetic oil.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

The answer is simple. Better protection. It's costs a bit more, but worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
What is your source of unbiased documentation and scientific proof in your statement?
Race Engine Technology. Sorry, can't quote the issue, as it's pretty expensive and I scrounge it from a friend that collects it religiously.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skidder
The temp gauge does,nt lie, if your temp is lower using synthetic and higher using dino, then syn oil does bring down temps. Others have said the same thing on this very forum.
All oils work fine but some work better than others of that there is no denying.
Yes, the gauge doesn't lie, but riding conditions could vary, so while there's NO DOUBT you get lower temps, it requires more than a gauge reading to be certain that the lower temp is due to syn oil.
It CAN be, sure, but you can't take it for granted.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

I see... I have mistaken this for an informative thread about oil. My fault, it's just a "bash this" against "bash that" thread.
I compared synth against dino, explained exactly which are the pluses and minuses of the two choices and why (in exact terms) synth is "better" than average traditional oils (Castrol is another thing, which I won't waste time discussing here) in terms of duration and heat resistance, and also told clearly that, no, in practical terms there is no necessary preference, and you don't "need" synth, provided you know what you are using, and how it works.
But, apparently, this balanced approach to technical topics doesn't satisfy people who are not interested in technical arguments, but are just out looking for a nice flame.
I know what oil to put in my bike and I don't get a dime nor I care whether you put synth or dino in the oil tank or just **** down in it after the tenth beer. I just try to inform in an unbiased way.
"Winning" an argument on the web is as satisfying as getting to keep the red ball in the kindergarten.
So, enjoy yourselves.

Last edited by 99octane; 10-08-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 99octane
Race Engine Technology. Sorry, can't quote the issue, as it's pretty expensive and I scrounge it from a friend that collects it religiously.
The reason I asked that was to say that to get an unbiased, scientific proof is not from a magazine but from someplace like SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and other engineering labs and such. Remember magazines are funded by advertisers mostly and journalism does what they do best, and thats package it so what ever they are writing about is profoundly believable to the readers.
A good example of advertised BS that tons of people believe is the add for syn oil saying that starting an engine is the worst thing you can do. For those that are not mechanically knowledgeable (no insults intended) there is always a film of oil on the engine internals, otherwise the internal combustion that has been sold for the last 100 years wouldnt last very long and youd be getting metal chunks out the drain with the oil. Think about it.

If a person believes that one oil is better than the other that is their belief so be it, but the bottom line is has anyone ever proven beyond a doubt that if two different engines that let say acquired over 100k miles and then each failed with one being syn and the other was dino, can say it was do to the oil? NO!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 99octane
I see... I have mistaken this for an informative thread about oil. My fault, it's just a "bash this" against "bash that" thread.
I compared synth against dino, explained exactly which are the pluses and minuses of the two choices and why (in exact terms) synth is "better" than average traditional oils (Castrol is another thing, which I won't waste time discussing here) in terms of duration and heat resistance, and also told clearly that, no, in practical terms there is no necessary preference, and you don't "need" synth, provided you know what you are using, and how it works.
But, apparently, this balanced approach to technical topics doesn't satisfy people who are not interested in technical arguments, but are just out looking for a nice flame.
I know what oil to put in my bike and I don't get a dime nor I care whether you put synth or dino in the oil tank or just **** down in it after the tenth beer. I just try to inform in an unbiased way.
"Winning" an argument on the web is as satisfying as getting to keep the red ball in the kindergarten.
So, enjoy yourselves.
+1
Well said..

If anyone has to convince you to use Synth oil, it's not for you. Use whatever you want. It's your machine, it's your money.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM
breezeair
Intermediate

Can we stop the madness? I think we all can agree that the best oil is "Clean oil" in the correct viscosity for the application.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can I search for all the threads about oil related engine failures?? Are lots of people having oil related failures with their engines?? With all the talk about what kind of special oil is needed you would assume that it's a big problem.

Quick Reply: Why use synthetic oil?