General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a full face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
canuk cruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a full face?

After reading all the posts on helmets and accidents over the past weeks, I'm seriously considering picking up a full face helmet. I just ordered an ACC helmet which I don’t have yet, but maybe for the longer faster rides I will wear a full face. I'm going to start to look what is out there in a light model, but though I'd ask how many out there are considering it? I don't know who hooked up the deal, but maybe those who are interested can find a model and get a deal similar to that was set up with ACC for their half helmets. I was thinking something light, maybe carbon fiber, but really don’t know right now. Any interest or suggestions out there?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a full face?

I own a full face, but only use it on cold mornings. Personally, I just think they are too hot to wear in summer riding. Mines a HJC, weight is not a problem, just comfort.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

I have a FF AGV helmet made for Harley and it weighs about 2 lbs. according to my scale. It has a HD logos on it, looks cool, and is comfortable. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
ccrane2299
6th Gear

I bought a V-Rod about 4 months ago. I also bought the "ultimate touring windshield" from HD for it. It sucked, the buffeting made my eyes blur. I couldn't ride comfortably with out the windshield because the wind blew my half helmet back (V-Rod will go n excess of 135 mph). I just happened to stop in a local dirt bike shop and they had a full face sitting on the shelf. I had never owned one. I bought it and loved it. No more wind in the ears, or tearing eyes. I have since bout a better flip up face helmet. It is even better. I can flip it up and talk to fellow riders when we stop, it was almost impossible for them to hear me with the standard full face. I rode it a week or so ago in Arizona where the temp was over 110 degrees. I was no hotter than anyone else, the airflow through the helmet is very good. As a matter of fact when one of those hot air blasts would hit, I was actually more comfortable with the shield closed. Lastly (probably should have been first) is that I am and I feel safer while wearing it. Good luck.
Chris

Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have both a full face (HD) and 1/2 (Fulmer). Had a full face Fulmer and preferred it to HD -- lighter and just fit better.

The full face is a bit hotter, though it protects your face from both sun and wind. It is my preferred choice for longer road trips, though I find that it is actually louder inside the full face helmet than my 1/2 helmet -- pipes and wind resonate more. But it is also better if caught in the rain -- no needles to the face. And finally, it doesn't dry my eyes out as much (still wearing contact lenses) as just wearing the glasses or goggles does.

Just make sure there is ample venting on the full face. It really makes a difference for cooling the ol' melon.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Hi, I have a Caberg flip-up and a KBC half-helmet, but have been thinking of getting a regular full-face because flip-ups, while convenient, are necessarily heavier than regular full-faces due to the mechanism on the chin bar. I only carry the half as a spare; I feel enormously exposed wearing it.

After a ton of research, I've narrowed my choices down to two: the HJC AC-12 Carbon and the Scorpion EXO-700. The HJC is one of the lightest full-face helmets out there because it is made of carbon fiber. Looks cool, too. It can be found on the Web for around $380. The Scorpion is one of the least expensive full-face helmets, but is loaded with features usually found only in big $ helmets, such as no-fog visors and a removable, washable, moisture-wicking liner, and gets high marks from those who have one. It's out there for about $175-$195 depending on the graphics.

That said, getting a helmet that truly fits your noggin and will feel good hour after hour is a dicey proposition, especially without trying one on before you buy. So if you do find one online, be sure they have a good exchange policy. And read all you can about how to gauge a proper fit.

Good luck with your choice (and kudos on what I think is a smart decision on your part).

Philip

Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to try on nearly 10 different models. Even some from the same manufacturer before I found one that fit me well.

Remember that they should fit very snug, but not hurt. They also break in after several hours of use and will loosen up a bit.

I wouldn't recomend buying one without trying it on first. They are far too expensive to have a poor fitting one.

Remember to look at the ease of shield removal as well. Some are fairly difficult to remove. It makes it much easier to clean if you can just pop the shield on/off in seconds. Funny thing, mine gets real dirty on the inside of the shield, but only bugs usually on the outside. I clean off a fair amount of black road grime from the inside. Either that, or I've got black lung and am doin it myself.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Bdsvette
Advanced

I have both but I feel my vision is cut down way too much in the full face.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I feel that there are advantages and disadvantages to both styles of helmets. When I had my first bike, I had a full face by Arthur Fulmer. It was great on cold mornings but a little hot in the summer. On hot days, I just lifted the face shield up a bit and let the air flow through it, worked for me. A half helmet is great when the weather is hot, but it can be a little cool on a cold day. I have seen people wear something that covered their nose and mouth and it worked quite well for them when the weather was cold. I have only used Arthur Fulmer and I have been very happy with them. A full face will help keep the bugs from hiting you in the face where a half won't ( I know about this one [:@]). I would suggest that you try some on to see which one fits the best on your head and that would be the one that you would buy. You could also do like some people that I know and have more than one helmet. Good luck

Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a test of my FF helmet by HD, (AGV). Bought it 2 months ago and today at 2:30 pm it was 94* and HOT! Went for a 1 1/2 hr ride in the heat with my FF, long sleeve micro-fiber shirt and leather vest. Amazingly, I did not get hot. The FF actually kept the heat off of my face, was comfortable and I could see better because of no wind buffeting. The shirt kept me cool and the sun from baking my skin. It's hard for me to accept this because I am so used to a 1/2 helmet with glasses/goggles. I guess I'll be wearing it more often, especially after seeing ******'s helmet. Of course, my wife said "see, I told you so". She used to wear a FF on her Sporster and all her riding buddies gave her lots of crap over it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a full face?