General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a full face?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a full face?

http://www.nexlsports.com/index.php/...products_id/50

Here is a site for carbon fiber full face helmets,
Don't know if they are any good or not.
Gary D.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Harley FXRG, made by HJC, that I wear year round and is no doubt warmer than a ¾ helmet, but from a weight standpoint it is very comfortable. What I do not like about it is that it fogs in humid conditions. I noticed a member of our group hand a Shoei X-11 and he said that he had not had any problems with fogging. Also mirrored visors help cut down on the heat when riding into the sun.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:33 PM
firestar99
Cruiser

I use a MODULAR helmet. That is the full face that the front flips up on. I have the GMAX it weighs about 2 pounds and is very comfortable. I only use it when we are going on the interstate or on long rides. With the flip face it is easy to get on and off and is cooler than most full face helmets. I had just bought my wife one on a wednesday and that sunday a car hit us. she landed on her face and took a chunck out of the chin part and grinded the frontof the face shield down to almost nothing. But she is as beautiful as ever thanks ENTIRELY to the modular helmet protecting her face. anything less and she would have had serious problems from that crash. She ended up with her arm broke in three places and her knee cap ripped open but her head and face wasn't touched. GOOD LUCK and go to some of the local shops and try some on. The gmac has alot of ventilation and is under 150 bucks.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

I knew a dude with half a face. It warn't a purdy sight, lemmee tell y'all! Smoked his maryjahoochie through a hole in his neck.
Upside was he didn't have to share!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For us, the 3/4 with face shield works best. (See picture below). You can flip the shield up when cruising slow.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM
lsl923
Novice

I also wear a 3/4 with face shield, but I seem to get alot of wind noise. Do you have that problem?
ORIGINAL: gambler

For us, the 3/4 with face shield works best. (See picture below). You can flip the shield up when cruising slow.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I ride with a novelty helmet (I know, I know) when I want real protection I still use my Shoei X-11 that I bought 4 years ago for my sportbike. It's probably the lightest, most ventilated helmet I've ever had. Was a little pricey at 525 bucks (I'm sure the price has dropped since then) but like someone mentioned, you get what you pay for.

As far as full faced helmets, you either get noisy and ventilated or quiet and hot. You'll pay for either but there are many cheaper brands (KBC for instance) which are great happy mediums.

If you get great flow to keep your nogan cool, then obviously it will be noisy with the air flow next to your ears.

Good luck with your choice...

Mark

Old 10-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a FF from HD back in the spring, but didn't wear it until this summer. Wearing it while it was 100*+ actually kept my head cooler, no hot wind blast in my face. It has good vents. Made by AGV. I think its called the Defiance. Cost $179. but got it on sale for $135. I actually like wearing it, but I get funny looks and laughed at when I do.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

I used to switch back and forth from a Shoei RJ Air 3/4 helmet and a Shoei X-11 full-face depending on the weather. That was until August this year. I had a horizontal parking incident that scraped my face and chin badly enough that I've converted to full-face all the time regardless of the weather. I like my facial features the way they are.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until this summer, I've been a die-hard fullface wearer (Shoei X-11) but have been trying out a Shoei J-Wing (3/4 helmet w/face shield). Now that the temps are dropping back down, I've gone back to my fullface. Even when the temps pop back up next Spring, I'll probably stay with the fullface. I just feel too exposed without the lower chin bar.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a full face?