General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a full face?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 AM
hdchamp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a full face?

You know what they say, Got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Darryl88
Road Captain

I only wear a half helmet, but Ive seen a few guys wear the full, but there usually riding metics or crotch rockets[sm=nerd.gif] Seriously what ever your most comfortable with

Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 AM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear one, expecially in the cooler weather. Once you wear one for awhile, anything less seems a little "naked."

Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Functional yet fashionable!!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 AM
00glider
Cruiser

I live in a "must wear DOT helmet" state. For the last 2 years I've only ridden with a SHOEI full-face. It rains here frequently and unexpectedly. The full-face with a face shield is not only safer should your head meet the road, it can protect you from everything that ends up in the air - from dirt, to hail, to rocks and bugs. Having said that, I ride w/o the faceshield. I keep it in my bag, and only get it out when the rain starts. Why? I hate the fogging in the fall and winter, the reverberating of sound in the helmet, and head shaking from buffeting, and the whistling that happens when you lift it. I like to feel the wind. On the plus side, I never thought it made it too hot, but it does keep you from getting too cold.

I also just bought an ACC half-helmet. Man, am I enjoying it. The noises are louder but more uniform, so they don't bother me. and I can ride faster with much less buffeting behind a windscreen. I will use it when the weather isn't questionable.

On longer trips (time and distance) I would like to at least carry the full-face, but with my Dyna, that's a real problem. They are just so damn big.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

From first hand experience, helmets DO SAVE LIVES, #2 full face helmets will keep you lookin good. I had a wreck some time back, ended up with tri fractures in the right leg, BROKE my right collar bone as well when my head/helmet hit a guard rail post! BUT, i SURVIVED, with a cheap helmet, or no helmet, I'd be dead, oh, forgot to metion, i skidded down the road after all the comotion with the guard rail ON MY BELLY/FACE, the face sheild and front of the helmet looked like someone had used a grinder on it. Me, I'm fine now, just a little stiffness in the right let, and, you bet i still ride. [ with a helmet]

Old 10-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

I only wear a half helmet, but Ive seen a few guys wear the full, but there usually riding metics or crotch rockets[sm=nerd.gif] Seriously what ever your most comfortable with
Most of my riding is in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin and it's rare to see HD riders wearing any helmet at all.

I wear an HJC CL15 fullface and feel like I'm a biker from another planet when rolling in to a bar for a burger and beer.

Probably will get an ACC half helmet for some rides and continue using the full face as well depending on conditions.

Never riding without a helmet...when I was 18 I crashed my Triumph 750 Bonniville,usually wore a helmet,wasn't wearing one that night. - most of the impact was to my left shoulder.broke my clavicle,ripped my leather jacket up.The rest of the trauma was to my head--2 inch fracture left side of skull with enough inner ear damage to cause 50% permanent hearing loss....

Woke up 3 days later in a hospital.If I'd been wearing a helmet I'd have walked away from the accident..... If I'd landed a bit differently it could have been bad.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:26 AM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

I completely agree, I would never wear a full face under any circumstances on my bike, but thats just me
ORIGINAL: Seth

Full face=better protection? YES

Full Face = HOT and look like DOOFUS? YES

LOL,....It's just to dang hot down here for the full face,....

Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear a full face Bieffe Helment. Second one I have owned. Fits great, light, cool.

SD

Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 06BlackFLHXI

I completely agree, I would never wear a full face under any circumstances on my bike, but thats just me
ORIGINAL: Seth

Full face=better protection? YES

Full Face = HOT and look like DOOFUS? YES

LOL,....It's just to dang hot down here for the full face,....
You would look alot more foolish laying in a casket with your kids crying their eyes out cuz Dad wanted to look cool. JMO.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a full face?