General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a full face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 AM
pro1955
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a full face?

I have an HJC modular full face I use in the cold and rain, wear 1/2 helmet the rest of the time.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the “Road Hog” also and so far love it. I saw it at the dealer last year and as given a gift card to go and get it, well the gift card got spent on other Harley stuff. I went back to Harley and found the size for their helmets that fit me (big ole melon size), I then went to ebay and found a Harley dealer in California that was selling the 05’ model helmets, and there it was the “Road Hog”, I won the bid for the helmet at $102 plus $8 dollars shipping. The helmet was regularly priced at $250. It came in the mail packed in another box with styrofoam and the original box inside. The tags were still on it and everything fits just right. I can not wait to take it on the trip to Sturgis.
Just remember if you are buying on E-bay, make sure the seller has positive feedback and has sold plenty of items. Good luck

Old 06-24-2006, 07:36 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I have a Shoei RF-1000 full face helmet,I should be wearing it ,but...... I hate the buffeting and the loud wind noise I get behind the fairing. I've added just about everything as far as wind/air deflectors the my bike,still get the buffeting and blurred vision at highway speed. I also have a DOT harley half helmet,comfortable,not as hot as the full face and about 85% reduction in the wind buffeting over the full face.I know the half helmet doesnt provide as much protection,but it does make my rides more comfortable/enjoyable with alot less buffeting . being hot isnt a problem for me,i wear chaps,leather gloves and leather coat year round...... It's the buffeting and blurred vision with the full face that i cant stand.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:42 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

I wonder if the racing tearoffs will work with that helmet and sheild. That would kick butt. once the sheild gets yucky from the squished bugs, just tear off the thin sheet of plastic, and once again you have clear vision.

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

ORIGINAL: George C

Like everything, "you get what you pay for".
I own a Simpson Outlaw and a Simpson Shortie.
I use the Shortie around town, but I won't go out of town without the Outlaw.
It's pricey at $420.00, but it's feather light and by far the most aerodynamically user friendly helmet you can buy. At any speed, it remains perfectly still, while ventilating your head nicely at any temp.

You guys won't believe how comfortable a full face can be.

i own one exactly like that ... used it in the drag car ... it is light ... guess i need to ride with it and check it out

Old 06-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Crankshaft
Road Warrior

Tearoffs work for me with a Shoei RF-1000![sm=smiley20.gif]I'm sure it would work with the Simpson Outlaw.
ORIGINAL: scrappy883r

I wonder if the racing tearoffs will work with that helmet and sheild. That would kick butt. once the sheild gets yucky from the squished bugs, just tear off the thin sheet of plastic, and once again you have clear vision.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Jock
Cruiser

Arai full face and Arai open face for parades....

Having said that one of our chapter members came off at the weekend - relatively slow speed and ended up with operation on the arm, stiches - full monty. A lot to be said for total protection ie full leathers etc ALL the time..comfort is one thing but sweats a lot more comfortable to what our brother is going through just now!!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well i bought a helmet, bought two actually...theyre nice...but I HATE EM...it just aint natural after never wearin one...but i'm tryin...been wearin my beanie in the heat...wearin the new one in the mornin when its cool...tryed my Simpson in the Texas heat and it really SUCKS, figured 3/4 is not gonna be as hot...not quite, but hot enough

Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Bryan... I bought two also just the other day down at Competition Cycle in Dania... Got a full face Scorpion something 700 and a a slightly deeper half helmet by HJC (trooper I think it is). I already had a half helmet that, after seeing Rusty's scratched face plate, I decided was NOT enought protection.

I was active in competitive cycling (you go fast, you pedal fast) back in the late 60's and saw one guy badly damaged, one guy in a coma, and one guy killed.... using the leather strap helmets that we used in those days...

Rather go topless... but the helmet may let me ride longer!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
KenM
Road Master

I bought my kids a full face that all three can share. My wife and use 1/2's. I bought it for the kids for protection. I guess my wife and I should take at look at them as well. I do like the 1/2 though.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Schuberth withthe flip up .HJC(hd branded) and just got a Shoei RF-1000 . The Shoei is the lightest and most comfortable I've had to date . It is very well ventilated which in the Georgia summer is a good thing

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a full face?