General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N filter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:38 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default K&N filter question

Quick question. There are lots of posts involving K&N filters, but I have a really simple one (I hope). I'm running an open element for a couple months now and have noticed that the dark red (color of the filter) is turning black from all the road dirt and dust. I have the K&N recharger kit (cleaner and oil) but don't really think that I need to re-oil yet. It says in the instruction manual that K&N filters only require cleaning/oiling every 50,000 miles or so, unless you live in a particularly dusty area. I doubt I've even put 1000 miles on my bike since getting this filter. So what I want to know is, is there a way to clean these things without going the all out clean with the solution...let dry...and re-oil? I tried using a clean/dry paint brush and just brushing lightly to try and remove some of the dead bugs and such..but it's still a nasty black color...especially on the front side. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Todd

Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N filter question

I have a DWG with the K&N air filter too. I have 2 elements, one on the bike and one that I clean and re-charge and hang on the wall for the next time the one on the bike gets dirty. I don't care what the instructions say, I want a clean filter which will pass more air into my carb. I would put a cover on that filter. It runs better with a cover than without. I've seen guys put a piece of tape on the front of an air filter at the track and they claim they get better times.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 AM
1Fatking
Advanced

I run K&N filters in all of my rides Car, Truck ,4 ATV's 2 dirt bikes and one Harley. Cleaning and re-oiling the elements takes hardley any time at all (about 10 min. to let the cleaner settle in then about 45 min in the sun after a fresh water rinse before you re-oil. use the oil in the aresol can it is easier than the pump bottle. on my ATV's I clean and re-oil about every two to three rides. they are really good filters when cleaned and oiled regularly.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 5701andbroke

I would put a cover on that filter. It runs better with a cover than without.
My bike is EFI, so I don't know if this makes a difference...but this does raise an interesting point...I've noticed that since I removed the cover, the bike does pop on deceleration..it's not very frequent, but it was non-existant before removing the cover. There has always been a bit of "gurgling" on decel...but the popping didn't start until I removed the cover.
At the same time, the dealer, as well as a few folks I talked to mentioned that removing the cover and running an open element shouldn't affect the way the engine runs, and it's performance...only problem is if I do a lot of riding in the rain...which I don't. I really like the look of the cover now...and I don't much care for that football cover...but will consider putting it back on if I think it's really going to cause a problem without it. Any comments are appreciated.

Todd

Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: veniculum

I've noticed that since I removed the cover, the bike does pop on deceleration..it's not very frequent, but it was non-existant before removing the cover. There has always been a bit of "gurgling" on decel...but the popping didn't start until I removed the cover.
Same with mine, Bro'...

Old 06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
DutchDyna
Novice

At the same time, the dealer, as well as a few folks I talked to mentioned that removing the cover and running an open element shouldn't affect the way the engine runs, and it's performance...
I wouldn't agree to that straight away, without the cover you will have a totally different air-flow where the air ( when the vehicle is moving ) , is pushed straight into the filte at the front side, and sucked out ( this is the issue) at the back side so that it is theorettically possible to create a vacuum like situation at high speeds effecting in a richer mix.....

But maybe there are some different effects too ( to be determined in controlled environment ?? )