General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Hit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 AM
hucks 08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you are still here.new name is LUCKY.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
I just bought a new Ultra. One of my biggest reasons was I wanted ABS. Almost lost it high-side recently when a car pulled a u-turn in front of me. Locked up the rear wheel and just barely got it back under control.
I thought the reason behind ABS was that they wouldn't "lock up". I'm confused.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM
junianby
6th Gear

Ramrod, I hit one Saturday night also.I Crested a hill and there were two deer standing there. After I crapped my pants, I laid on the brakes. I guess you can say someone was watching me. I didn't dump the bike. I hit the one deer right in it's head. All the damage to my 09 ultra was a broken left front turn signal and bent light bar. Maybe we have the same guardian angel!
Nick

Attached Thumbnails Deer Hit-bike-001.jpg   Deer Hit-bike-005.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser

Glad your ok. Where I am in PA we are loaded as well. I had one run right in front of me yesterday about 3 miles from my house. I had just drove 350 Miles back from Ocean City and nearly bought the farm because of a deer in my back yard. Did manage to stop in time only because I happened to catch in out of the corner of my eye

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM
rkride
Cruiser

Glad that you made it through this one. I agree, if I have to drive at night, it is a very slow ride

Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain

I live 9 miles out in the country, with a bumper crop of corn and soy beans this year, we won't ride at night. We drove in our truck 18 miles one evening to eat at a diner and counted 56 deer in that one stretch. 36 on the way back. I was coming home one night when I still had the ultra and split the space between 2 of them as they were crossing the road. if either one had stopped, i would probably be hamburger meat

Glad you made it through this OK

Old 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dead deer

I always figured that the deer would get their revenge on me with all that I have killed in my life. In Wisconsin, you would have to ride 30-40 MPH all the time if you rode like that in "deer country". I have them in my backyard in the city and they love the shrubs in the winter. Watch out during dusk and dawn and don't ride mid to late October when they are in the rut.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
redsled
Cruiser

We collected one - mule deer no less - week before last out in Utah near Torrey. We were doing 60 when I saw a flash in front of my wheel as the Road King's bars jerked to the right and then straightened back up again. Not sure why you'd bother braking at that point - bike was still upright and the deer was gone. Also caught it in hindquarters which is probably why we stayed upright - spun it out of our way. Very lucky. Be careful out there, all.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

RamRod, Thanks to God everything turned out OK, This has always been in the back of my mind when we ride, almost always two-up. Theres a shi* load of deer around here also. And if this was the only time for a panic stop with the ABS,, in my mind it just fully paid for itself. Take Care TIm

Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you came out alright, sounds really frightening. Living here in Ohio I am always watching the sides of the road for the tick ridden creatures.

Quick Reply: Deer Hit