General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a "twisty" problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I have a "twisty" problem!

I love twistys, but it's becoming a problem for me. There is a 6 mile stretch of road which I ride most every week which has some great twistys. 45 is the speed limit which I ride 55 to 60 with slowdowns to around 35 to 40 on the hairy ones. I find myself trying to go just a little bit faster each week trying to better my time & I have to say I am getting pretty good, but it's becoming an obsession of sorts. I think I know my limits, at least I hope I do. Anyone else with this "problem"?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I live in South Fla, the closest thing to a twisty we have is the exit ramp on the highway. I think you will be okay until you arent.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have hurt myself bad doing that in the past and I am still drawn to it.
I have an 08 softtail custom and I am really surprised how well it handles. I had a sport bike before and its no sport bike but is spirited. Try to know your limits last time I crashed spent a month in the hospital

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser

Yea, it's called being competitive and there's nothing wrong with that. You might want to get a second bike and take it to the track before you hurt yourself or someone else. Jamming hard on a public road means you are relying on everyone else to do the right thing. Cutting the apex of a tight corner with an oncoming car over the centerline can ruin your day.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bonesbike1
Yea, it's called being competitive and there's nothing wrong with that. You might want to get a second bike and take it to the track before you hurt yourself or someone else. Jamming hard on a public road means you are relying on everyone else to do the right thing. Cutting the apex of a tight corner with an oncoming car over the centerline can ruin your day.
I'm inclined to agree with you, Bonesbike. Fortunately, there is little traffic on it, but you're right, my luck might run out one of these days. Going to a track is a good idea, might have to try that.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 PM
ciso
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One reason that I also have sportbikes

Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I think I know my limits, at least I hope I do.
That's not a statement that inspires confidence, at least not to me. The only way you'll know your what your limits are is when you reach them. If you keep pushing a little more each time, you'll get there for sure. Pray that you and those around you at the time survive the experience.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testing Personal Limits

I've always said,"A rider will truly never know how fast they can take a curve until they go down." Just make sure you don't involve a vehicle full of children in your attempts. "Ride hard or stay home".

Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I love twistys, but it's becoming a problem for me. There is a 6 mile stretch of road which I ride most every week which has some great twistys. 45 is the speed limit which I ride 55 to 60 with slowdowns to around 35 to 40 on the hairy ones. I find myself trying to go just a little bit faster each week trying to better my time & I have to say I am getting pretty good, but it's becoming an obsession of sorts. I think I know my limits, at least I hope I do. Anyone else with this "problem"?
Sounds pretty normal to me. I just hope you don't get hurt too badly when you do find your limits. Just remember that if you do get to that point, you'll be moving pretty good and that's a recipe for a lot of hurt. Be careful!

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I live in South Fla, the closest thing to a twisty we have is the exit ramp on the highway. I think you will be okay until you aren't.
Yup, Texas Gulf Coast is pretty much the same. We've got to ride a good 2 to 3 hours before we find anything that could remotely called "twisty!" ;

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

Just remember testing your limits means you will find them

Quick Reply: I have a "twisty" problem!