General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a "twisty" problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget those pesky little dead critters , they can ruin
a "***** out" ride real quick on any turn .

Old 09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you need a second bike...ever done twisties on a sportbike? youll really be addicted then! i say get a second bike and do a trackday or two

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kered
sounds like you need a second bike...ever done twisties on a sportbike? youll really be addicted then! i say get a second bike and do a trackday or two
I have nevery ridden a sportbike, but I would love to get on a track with one.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bonesbike1
Yea, it's called being competitive and there's nothing wrong with that. You might want to get a second bike and take it to the track before you hurt yourself or someone else. Jamming hard on a public road means you are relying on everyone else to do the right thing. Cutting the apex of a tight corner with an oncoming car over the centerline can ruin your day.
Out today on said stretch of road having a ball, when on of the hairy turns I went in a little faster than on last ride, had to ride the center line & guess what, a cager I met doing the same thing, just missed him. Usually very little traffic, but can't count on it. I think after my thread yesterday I subconciously pushed it. From now on I'm back to my norm & will just enjoy the ride. I don't want to be stupid, I really don't have a death wish. Thanks for replies & advice.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
I wanted to be a better rider so I took riding lessons at Infinion Raceway. I rode the big course on my RT and the supermoto course on my DR, and learned a lot that I use when I ride my FXST. The best place to hone your skills is on a track. I wasn't going to take a chance on stacking my H-D, so I rode a couple of my other bikes for the classes. Below are a few pictures with my R1150RT and my "420" DR bike.

Supermoto, now you're talking!! I keep threatening to get another KTM 450 and try some S/M, it sure looks like it would be fun! I wonder how a two stroke bike would do...............?? Is that a BMW 450 in the back?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
offspring
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I love twistys, but it's becoming a problem for me. There is a 6 mile stretch of road which I ride most every week which has some great twistys. 45 is the speed limit which I ride 55 to 60 with slowdowns to around 35 to 40 on the hairy ones. I find myself trying to go just a little bit faster each week trying to better my time & I have to say I am getting pretty good, but it's becoming an obsession of sorts. I think I know my limits, at least I hope I do. Anyone else with this "problem"?
Definitely. What road is it? I'm always looking for some good twisties in the area.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by offspring
Definitely. What road is it? I'm always looking for some good twisties in the area.
From Middleburg to the Plains...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Before I retired I was in safety and handled all Work Comp cases. Every one of my cases where an employee was injured, every one of them pushed it pass the safety standards. Not putting guards back on, not using PPE. (not using gloves), bypassing safety switches ETC.ETC...

A HD is not a sports bike and not made to take twistys at high speed.

Your doing the same thing and though U can get by for a while, The odds and outcome are not in Ur favor. I hope U realize it before Ur become a statistic, and end up saying what most of my past employees said...

WISH I COULD START THIS DAY OVER..... If U live though it.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Sir! If you have a Mother or a Father or
a Wife and or Children then
SLOW THE HELL DOWN,
if not then go ahead and kill your self.
Who gives a ****

Old 09-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Just be careful! One of these days you might find your limitations. That might not be so pleasant!

Quick Reply: I have a "twisty" problem!