General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a "twisty" problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I really got to push the limits, I go ahead and put on the sportbike leathers and pads and then push the hell out of them. course by then I have rolled out the sportbike so I can smack that limit way out there. and the track is the BEST place to play that game.
otherwise learn to go out near the limits and just enjoy ridein there. kinda like ridein on a rollercoaster. yea they could make it go faster but theyre going to run it fast enough to be fun, but slow enough to be safe.
it might help to start focusing on trying to ride the smoothest quick ride thru them. its cool to watch a seasoned rider, ride a road smooth as silk. I mean no jerky movements, no small move overs or small lean jerks, just rolls in fast and smooth and out fast and smooth. it shows the world this rider has straddled a motor lots and lots of miles...
OR just run the crap out of it, and be ready to pay for that ticket to ride in blood.....

Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My SG floorboards and kickstand tell the story everyday....and the Nightster has pegs with wear bars that are almost gone! Um. No wonder I just bought a Buell.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to be a better rider so I took riding lessons at Infinion Raceway. I rode the big course on my RT and the supermoto course on my DR, and learned a lot that I use when I ride my FXST. The best place to hone your skills is on a track. I wasn't going to take a chance on stacking my H-D, so I rode a couple of my other bikes for the classes. Below are a few pictures with my R1150RT and my "420" DR bike.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once live at the end of a twisty "river road" in Vermont & that's where I really learned to ride. I believe that only when you know every curve by repetition, & increase speed in comfortable increments, can you really learn what man & bike are capable of.

PS-- Watch out for hay wagons.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Tackdriver
Cruiser

On Confidence.
There is a fine line between confidence and sillyness.
A truly confident rider knows how to handle thier bike, and has nothing to prove by running the twisties at felony speeds.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Dustyf
Cruiser

There is a fine line between Bravery and Stupidity. Crossing that line will result in a painfull learning experience!

DustyF

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the "twisties" and have scraped my floorboards more than one on Highway 9. However, I realize my Fatboy is not a sportsbike and keep that in mind!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
YZ Guy
Tourer

Two quotes to live by:

" A man's got to know his limitations" & "Never go full retard"

Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's not a problem I would have on a Harley. In my sport bike days, it was definitely an obsession. If I wanted to do that now, I'd buy a sport bike. I specifically bought a Harley because I know 'normal' riding is about their limit.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I live in South Fla, the closest thing to a twisty we have is the exit ramp on the highway. I think you will be okay until you arent.

flat and square should be our state slogan.
after all we are the "sunshine state" and it rains everyday, during the summer.(statistically, florida is the receives more rain, per annum, than any other state in the country.)

Quick Reply: I have a "twisty" problem!