General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buell Wins!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give credit where credit is due or go post on the metric sites.

Try relaxing a bit

Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Im' not going to knock Buell per se, I'm glad they won.. and the truth is I'd planned on buying an XB12 as my next bike, that is, until the recent blast ad campaign.. ( that's another rant.. ) But with that said, the fact is, Buell winning in daytona sport bike is NOT AT ALL like winning in AMA superbike or motoGP. The rules for daytona sport bike were intentionally modified to give bikes like the Buell, an avenue to compete where they would not be totally and thoroughly trounced..

You know, I respect Erik Buell's engineering prowess, and I think it's cool we have the option of an American V twin powered sport bike. But I find it amusing, and just alittle hypocritical that Buell promotes iteself as a builder of world class sportbikes when the truth is, they are simply not at all competitive with todays current crop of literbikes.

Finally, and I apologize for going here again. but I lost some respect for Buell because of the 2010 Blast ad campaign.. which I think is totally stupid. And yea, I'm biased because my wife rides a blast and the fact is, the blast is a GREAT beginners bike. God forbid Buell be associated with a sporty little beginners bike.. espeically since they'rd so into "world class" sportbikes..

Bottom line.. as much as it sounds otherwise.. I do like Buell motorcycles.. I wish them luck..

mavrick

ps.. sorry for the rant..

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 09-21-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling. as usual
Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by solorider
Here's a link to a Milwaukee newspaper article about Buell's latest achievement. Yeah, yeah, I know...much bigger engine, not fair for the rest, blah, blah, blah. Well, this is a Harley website, so save the drama for your mama. Buell is a company of just over 50 employees in the middle of nowhere - East Troy, Wisconsin. Town square, one hardware store, a couple bars and restaurants and a motorcycle company that was started in a barn just a few years ago. Give credit where credit is due or go post on the metric sites.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/59803327.html
Nice article.......thanks for the link!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I'm 68 and I took my Buell Ulysses 8,322 miles to the Arctic Circle and back in 14 days, Two days were 856 and 861 miles. I was comfortable all the way and I am 6'2" and 230.

They are running against four cylinder 600 cc motors. The lap times, acceleration are closely matched. The rider is the main factor and luck.

The 4 cylinders have twice as many power strokes over the twin. The same thing back when four stroke single cylinder dirk bikes racing two cycle dirt bikes. They had to permit larger displacement with the 4 strokes to make them competitive.
Hey, a post with some common sense. Thanks ih4x4!!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Relayer1974
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad Buell is seeing some success on the track.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
If I was a smaller person i would not mind having one of them, as a sort of cafe racer or bar hopper
How big an ole boy are you? I see in your sig, you have a Dyna pictured, so that makes me think you can't be that big because they are fairly small bikes. I'm 6'3", about 250 lbs and the bike pictured in the article is a 1125R. I feel right at home on them, and don't feel like a monkey f'n a football on them like I do on other sport bikes. I mean that Buell bike is no touring bike,.. its made to race and raise hell on, not cross country trips. If you haven't sat on one,.. go find one. They are actually pretty comfortable for the larger rider.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Buell is a joke and everyone in the paddock knows it. The amount of power strokes has very little to do with it, if it did Ducati would be allowed a 2000cc v twin in Superbike, not the 1200 it gets now. Not only that, but DMG has banned the Ducati 1098/1198 from the very same class that the Buell is allowed in, instead only allowing the Ducati 848. That alone tells anyone with an ounce of sense all they need to know. The simple fact is that Buell builds wildly inferior ( and IMO horridly ugly ) bikes and needs the governing authority to set up ridiculous rules so that they can compete. Nothing to be proud of at all.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
They are running against four cylinder 600 cc motors. The lap times, acceleration are closely matched. The rider is the main factor and luck.

The 4 cylinders have twice as many power strokes over the twin. The same thing back when four stroke single cylinder dirk bikes racing two cycle dirt bikes. They had to permit larger displacement with the 4 strokes to make them competitive.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by solorider
Hey, a post with some common sense. Thanks ih4x4!!
I'm not so sure about the common sense part.. but what ih4x4 said proves the point.. Buell motorcycles not only need to be granted special rules to race, even with those rules, the only way they're competitive is to race against bikes with far less displacement..

So, I guess depending on how you look at it, giving Buell all sorts of special rules and allowing them to race against smaller bikes just so they can show up at the track... could be called.. common sense.. But as for me, I will respectfully disagree. My take is, if Buell wants to be considered as a world class sportbike, then.. instead of relying on "charity" for the lack of a better term.. Buell should do what everyone else did and just go build a world class sport bike.. As I said before, Erik Buell is a master bike builder... so I believe it's totally within his ability to do so.. until then, as I said before.. I wish Buell would not be so hypocritical about what they are.. and what they are not..

Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into an arguement.. nor do I mean to change anyone's mind one way or the other.. this is simply venting my frustration with Buell.. Think of it this way.. if I didn't care it wouldn't be worth discussing right?

Either way I'm done.. and my apologies if I angered anyone... please know that wasn't my intent

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 09-21-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling.. again ;)
Old 09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanw
The Buell is a joke and everyone in the paddock knows it. The amount of power strokes has very little to do with it, if it did Ducati would be allowed a 2000cc v twin in Superbike, not the 1200 it gets now. Not only that, but DMG has banned the Ducati 1098/1198 from the very same class that the Buell is allowed in, instead only allowing the Ducati 848. That alone tells anyone with an ounce of sense all they need to know. The simple fact is that Buell builds wildly inferior ( and IMO horridly ugly ) bikes and needs the governing authority to set up ridiculous rules so that they can compete. Nothing to be proud of at all.
Just going out on a limb here, but if I had to guess, I'd say you don't like Buells.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not that I dislike them. They are what they are, that is, fairly decent street bikes, not competitive racing bikes by any stretch. For that fraud Eric Buell to attempt to pass this off as anything other than a gift from DMG is ludicrous. First they were allowed to cheat by entering a purpose built "race" bike the XBrr in a class with 600 cc street bikes, then they were allowed to enter an 1125cc twin against 600cc 4's 1000cc and 848cc twins, then they were allowed to build another purpose built race bike with all sorts of broken rules attached to it and enter it in SB races. At every turn they have had their asses handed to them, until now, finally AMA/DMG has come up with a ridiculous rules package that allows his bikes to win. It's truly a slap in the face to any true racing fan to watch what Eric Buell and the AMA/DMG have done to the American racing series.

Originally Posted by FLHXterp
Just going out on a limb here, but if I had to guess, I'd say you don't like Buells.

Last edited by nathanw; 09-21-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Buell Wins!