General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 PM
DFTL20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor

I currently ride 05 Standard with V&H Big Radius. I am thinking of either trading or adding to the fleet with 07 if possible or 08 Road King. THe modified exhaust provides a great boost in performance, sound, and appearance. I don't know anything about the O2 sensors in the exhaust and future modifications but have seen the new O2 sensors on the Street Bob. I overheard someone at a dealer say that if you remove the sensor that the engine won't start. So first when will all exhaust have O2 sensors? Will I be able to modify the exhaust? What are the benefits of the O2 sensor? Thanks for all your help and feedback.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: O2 Sensor

Interesting subject. My '06 RK has "no" o2 sensor. I wish it did, the computer would or should go into a closed loop situation with an o2, if MOCO had designed it to. But with out one it has to rely only on all the pre-programed maps uploaded at the factory. IMO all the touring class with FI should have o2's with the ECM. You would benifet with better performance and fuel economy as well as being easier to comply with EPA standards present and future.

As for the '07 and '08 having an o2 I would figure that maybe the '08 would but who knows yet but MOCO. I actualy don't have a clue what the '07's will do since they are not to my knowledge out until mid July!

You could modify the exhaust with EPA approved exhaust which support an o2 with a bung welded in place. Or you can weld your own bung into one. Until you get a bike RK or FLH_ _ with an o2 or you go for an after market with close loop capabiliy then you will have to add an o2 sensor. The link require one:

http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html

If you have a stock system that came with an o2 sensor it needs to be in the exhaust for the engine to run properly. I know in the auto world you can bypass the o2 with a device that you plug into the o2 wiring harness this only gives a static reading of what the o2 could be sending to the computer and only keeps you from having a check engine lamp light up. An o2 sender is an "active" measuring sender to the computer and you loose all the benifets of having it when you remove it. By its design it measures an amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream and then the computer can or should be able to adjust the injection pulse (amount of gas) for the most efficiant combustion.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: O2 Sensor

My Dyna has an o2 sensor in each exhaust pipe because it has a closed loop EFI fuel/ignition system that gets feedback from the sensors. Without the right re-mapping the bike might run but won't run right. Buy the SERT and you can custom map the bike for any performance exhaust and modifications. The ideal way to have it done is by a good dyno tech who is up to date on the new ignitions & EFI systems. Mine runs great.