General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD dealer may close

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's become less about the bike and more about the image. If a dealer is buying and selling bikes and is able to keep the doors open, then why would the MoCo care what the dealership looks like. That dealer is still buying the bikes at the same price as the "boutique"
stores. IMO it's all become like a friggin dept. store chain selling clothes and chrome to the RUBs to keep the lifestyle/image BS alive.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
It's become less about the bike and more about the image. If a dealer is buying and selling bikes and is able to keep the doors open, then why would the MoCo care what the dealership looks like. That dealer is still buying the bikes at the same price as the "boutique"
stores. IMO it's all become like a friggin dept. store chain selling clothes and chrome to the RUBs to keep the lifestyle/image BS alive.
Now that is a good post.

I understand the contracturally bound part stated earlier. But why mess with someone who is profitable selling your product if they are not doing anything to actually hurt the brand name?

There are plenty of the boutique dealers around that we all know who have soured us on dealing with H-D if we go through that dealer.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:54 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by niteowl02
One of our local and long time dealers may be force to close its doors due to their location. Just not right!

http://www.fresnobee.com/business/story/1642058.html
http://www.mathewshd.com/
Gee Whiz! Who knew? Post after post calls them STEALERS.

The internet experts have no regard for the real facts.

"I SAW IT ON THE INTERNET, IT HAS TO BE TRUE".

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
jbremer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk about wanting a "discount" on everything brings me back to when everyone was bitching about how their H-D's started depreciating in value due to the MOCO building too many bikes. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't!

I still believe that every business needs to make a profit. Too many people think they should get everything for free and paid a lot of money every year to give stuff away. Simple economics...it doesn't work that way!

Now a simple question for everyone...is there anything that would actually make people happy???

Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
do what all the hotshots around here do.... buy off the internet and call the dealer a stealer and wonder why the shops close.
there is such a thing as keeping the money in your town but what do i know
You got that 100% right.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
67ray
Cruiser
Default Santa Cruz

The dealer in Santa Cruz CA closed its doors earlier this year for the same reason. Such a great shop, small and personal and a lot of comraderie. May be the first dealer post 1995 to actually close. But will not be the last as we can see.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironhand
do what all the hotshots around here do.... buy off the internet and call the dealer a stealer and wonder why the shops close.
there is such a thing as keeping the money in your town but what do i know
And thats what the hotshot manufacturers do. Take American jobs to youngfungho and then wonder why people look for the best deal. *** THEM.
The dealers could have said enough to the off shore crap but they were to busy racking in the profits from their $28 made in tyfukinwondoe tee shirts. I wonder how many American garment companys employees have bought a Harley in the last 10 years.
It's all made by little asian girls anyway. What difference does it make where you buy it.

Last edited by red69camaro; 09-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Apparently you don’t know much; read the article hotshot!

The possibility of the dealer closing has nothing to do with internet sales or even a lack of business. The business is doing well enough for the dealer to be willing to invest one million dollars in expanding the present location; however, MOCO has not yet approved of the location and may not renew their dealer agreement thus forcing him out of business

I suggest that you redirect your anger at MOCO, rather than consumers that are smart enough to shop for deal.
WRONG!
Shops are closing due to lack of business, the MoCo is not requiring any further investments("upgrades" or expansions) into existing dealerships.
True: the MoCo must approve expansions or remodels.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM
ArmyMechanic
Intermediate

its my firm belief that the MOCO does not want good dealerships... they want these commercial warehouses that do not give good customer service.. but then again we as a riding community keep buying into their crap! I for one have bough my last bike from Harley, i will build from now on using aftermarket technology!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Trouble
Why would you be angry at MoCo for making a business decision? The dealer knew what the contract allowances were when they signed the deal. Without the MoCo product, he would never have "been in business" to begin with. MoCo isn't deciding to put him out of business. The dealer makes/made that decision when they decide(d) to go against the manufacturer's contractualy legal requests. I may not agree with this particular decision but the fact of the matter is this: The dealer signed a contract and to keep his franchise he will have to honor that contract.

If you don't understand the NEED to make contracts legally binding and enforceable then we need to have an entirely different discussion.

I'll give you a real good reason. Old dealerships never had to sign any contracts in the past with that kind of crap in it. Now the MOCO wants them to sign new contracts with that provision, or "sorry, see ya".

It's chicken **** business practices at it's best.

If the MOCO wants to improve it's image so much, concentrate on style (of their motorcycles), quality control, and customer service. Not how many feet of neon light a dealership has showing.