General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD dealer may close

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The people that are in charge of the MOCO lately are not very dealer or customer friendly. Sometimes I just wish that they would just go ahead and ruin the company, and then start all over with new managment and a clean slate. Might be best for all of the dealers and especially the customers!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a good local dealer. Prices for most things are within reason of everyone else. I will not blow my money on something that is overpriced if I can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere. We get a lot of that shop locally crap around here---my answer to that is price accordingly to keep my money in town.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
do what all the hotshots around here do.... buy off the internet and call the dealer a stealer and wonder why the shops close.
there is such a thing as keeping the money in your town but what do i know

Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else miss the old days of a small dark , prolly gray interior painted dealer? yEAH YOU HAD TO WAIT ON PARTS , BUT MORE PEOPLE ACTUALLY ENJOYED THE RIDING PART OF LIFE INSTEAD OF " THE hd LIFESTYLE"?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Years ago by me there was a dealer called B@ D's. They were an old mom and pop dealership that they started in the '30s. It was a real bike shop. Had gas tanks and handle bars hangin from the ceiling, not special displays. They even sold Evenrude outboard motors. If you wanted chrome parts the did a chrome exchange. and if you had a tech question, someone working there would know what you needed to know or another customer would and help you out. Even Doris Bills wife, was sharp about the workings of bikes. Once the moco evaluated their operation and told them they needed to spend over 1 million dollars to renovate their store and they said we can't afford that, they yanked their dealership. So after 50 years of being a loyal dealership, the motor company showed their loyalty to a dealer by shutting him down and selling his dealer rights. So remember when you hear about guys being loyal to the "brand", it's all about $$$ not friendship or loyalty. If your dealer treats you good ,support him. And if you don't feel your getting a fair shake spend elsewhere. No one will remember your purchase long enough to hold a grudge.,,

Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I have a good local dealer. Prices for most things are within reason of everyone else. I will not blow my money on something that is overpriced if I can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere. We get a lot of that shop locally crap around here---my answer to that is price accordingly to keep my money in town.
My sentiment exactly! I would love to spend my money with my local dealer; be it a motorcycle, car boat, etc., but Ill be darn if I will may a premium to do so!

If a dealer 1,500 miles away can offer me a discount, then I expect the local guy to at least match it! My first loyalty is to my family and my self, not to someone that thinks that I have to buy from him just because we live in the same town!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

What is MOCO doing?!! Hearing this and the fact they are shutting down York ahs to make us wonder where the company is headed.
When I was living in Reynoldsburg Ohio my local dealership was about 2 miles away (Centennial Park HD) but I always preferred shopping at Farrows HD in downtown Columbus. It is the oldest and has very friendly help. I sure hope MOCO does not have plans to put Farrows on the chopping block.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD dealer in Fresno, Ca may close

Anybody ever hear of poetic justice? No one is gonna miss them in Fresno. HD of Fresno is there and really quite professional. The older business in the downtown really deserves to be going out.... it's a miracle they've beem in business this long.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Double_Trouble
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer

I suggest that you redirect your anger at MOCO, rather than consumers that are smart enough to shop for deal.

Why would you be angry at MoCo for making a business decision? The dealer knew what the contract allowances were when they signed the deal. Without the MoCo product, he would never have "been in business" to begin with. MoCo isn't deciding to put him out of business. The dealer makes/made that decision when they decide(d) to go against the manufacturer's contractualy legal requests. I may not agree with this particular decision but the fact of the matter is this: The dealer signed a contract and to keep his franchise he will have to honor that contract.

If you don't understand the NEED to make contracts legally binding and enforceable then we need to have an entirely different discussion.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
My sentiments exactly

Quick Reply: Local HD dealer may close