General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Gear

Being from Souther California I never had the need for heated gear, in fact I didn't even know it existed.

Moving to Oregon 5 years ago, my bike just sits in the garage from about November to April, just too damm cold for me even when it's not raining. And I do live in an area that doesn't get a lot of rain, well for Oregon anyway.

So I finally bought spent close to $400 for heated gloves, jacket and heat controler and it was worth every penny.

I rode the 630 miles to the recent Idaho HOG rally. Going, the weather was great, basically tee shirt and jeans.

The day we were to head home it was raining in Coeur d'alene. It was sort of funny to see so many bikes trying to cram under the overhang of the motel entrance, just long enough to dry off and load their gear.

After waiting about an hour, the rain slowed to a very light drizzle so we headed out. To my supprise, only 20 minutes, not even long enough to get wet and the rain stopped. I was so happy, but it was COLD.

My heated gear worked perfecly and made all the difference in the world. If you live in an area with weather UNLIKE Souther California, spend the money on heated gear. It is worth it and you won't be sorry.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What brand did you end up buying? I want to purchase heated gloves and a heated vest to start with. When I crossed the continent on my XL883 in June, I really only stopped because I was too cold to continue while it was raining. I was dry enough but too cold to enjoy the ride at the time so I would stop for the night.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

YEP, Heated jacket and pants for me.. They make winter riding possible and enjoyable... Gerbings was my choice....

Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 AM
kuxika
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey do they make cooled riding gear...it gets really hot in the mid-day out here in the tropics...glad you guys can ride during the cold months...

wish it got cold out here...not too cold though.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 AM
cycletrash98
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the heated gear, I have a jacket liner and gloves . I love them ! I also have heat demons heated grips .

http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

try this web site this is gerbings seconds website , this is where i purchased mine, no problems here saving money.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

know juat what your talking about. love mine, nothing better than being toasty when you can. rode to Delmarve bike week on wednesday and here in central Pa it was fairly cool when we left in the morning, so got put on that neat heat. ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Bought the Gerbings pants, jacket liner, and gloves. W-N-S dual controller..... While North Carolinia doesn't get THAT cold... it's a raw wet cold, that goes right to your bones.
I'm warm, and toasty, and can ride all day, without endangering myself, or others around me.
When I look back, at all the money I've "saved" over the years, trying to NOT buy heated gear... I have to laugh... I have a box full of gloves, liners, etc... that helped... but never kept me warm. I could have bought the heated gear RETAIL, and come out ahead

Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Somebody just has to have a con to every pro on the forum, so I will chime in with a con. I purchased a heated suit for my wife some years ago from my local Harley Dealer. It was that orange and black one that cost around $1100.00. I was told it was "all weather". We took off for a trip out west in a driving rain storm. My wife is very cold natured and just put the suit on for both reasons, as rain-gear and the warmth. We got out to the first gas stop and the rain had ended, so we all slipped out of our rain gear. When she took hers off, everything she had on under her suit was orange and black. She had on a white top under there that was now orange and she was very damp. Well, I naturally raised he!! when I got back and received the usual like of BS from the dealer. They told me she should have had a rain-suit on over the $1100.00 "all weather" heated suit. I continued to complain up through the MOCO management channels and eventually spoke with some person that had a title like Vice President in charge of Clothing Accessories, or some such title. My main motive was to try and make someone aware that moisture inside this suit was not good for all the electrical heating elements and they could have a safety issue. I was told (and I am not kidding here), that I had to take it up with the manufacturer of the suit. Like...this suit was purchased from Harley and has Harley Davidson written all over it plus the bar-n-shield trademark stamped right on the back.

I just gave up and purchased some Camp Dry. Every year I coat the suit with Camp Dry and it has not leaked or bled since. It is a very good suit and when she puts it on, I can just lay back and soak-up some heat myself. I suppose this should not be surprising. I have been on Harleys since 1986 and never had one I did not have to fix or upgrade somehow and this goes for the clothing as well. I don't even know if they still offer this orange-n-black "all weather" heated suit or not, but if they do and you have an inkling to purchase one....drop off my Wal-Mart and pick-up a couple of cans of Camp Dry on the way home.