General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poker run discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Poker run discoveries

Saw the other thread here about poker runs, and figured that I'd have a little fun with a new poker run thread, and ten things I've noticed this year.

We did six poker runs this year, all big runs with over 100 bikes each, all for good causes for people that needed help with medical bills and procedures. Of course, this is what a poker run is all about...helping others. However, I figured I'd mention some of things I've noticed about poker runs as of late:

1. Even after the road rules are announced about not blocking traffic at lights, within a few intersections of leaving, people start doing it.

2. There's always the idiots that after a moving right turn, have to gun it like crazy and slam on their brakes when they get to the person in front of them. We saw four bikes in one incident go down in the last run due this type of behavior. Even after this got communicated at the very next stop, people continued to ride like this. What's with the need of demonstrating idiotic testosterone?

3. Why is it that the people that seem to win the big giveaways is always somebody that is great friends with the people organizing the rides? The last 3-4 rides, most of the people participating didn't know one another very well, but each of those rides had all the giveaways won by somebody that you saw hanging around with the ride organizers. I could care less about winning something, but found this curious.

4. What's with all the bar stops for over an hour each? I know a lot of bars sponser the rides, but 4 hours of stops over a period of 6 hours is a little over the top.

5. I think it's great that all different kinds of bikes participate. However, every ride seems to have that one person that has a three wheel (two in the front) import bike that does 20 MPH on the hills on the major highways. Anybody else ever notice this?

6. Why do people you don't know decide they can ride right next to you at 60MPH on tight country roads? I swear, every ride, we have at least one nut that believes he's our best friend and thinks I'd be comfortable with his goofball riding style right next to me. I ride side-by-side with friends, but I know them and trust their riding ability. The strangers always think they have a right to do this as well, even when you slow down or speed up to get away from them.

7. I simply love how the idiots that leave a planned stop after their friends (riding pack) decide they can fly in and out of the riders to catch up with their riding buddies...even if it means barely dodging incoming traffic and forcing everybody behind to slam on their brakes when they come into your lane 2 feet in front of you again.

8. Gotta say something about the music. A lot of us crank the music when we ride, but why is there always some goof next to you when traffic is jammed on, listing to hard core rap at full blast with the worse distortion possible?

9. When bikes are parked at a lot for stops, why do some idiots feel like they can walk through those tightly packed rows, and hitting every bike on their path with their open jackets...especially when there are ways to get through rows much easier? Whatever happened to watching out for other people's bikes?

10. This one gets me. Most of the rides we did had a stop about 15-20 minutes away from the start. Seems like a lot of bikes start making beelines for gas stations before pulling into the first stop to get fuel. Don't people fuel up before arriving for the ride? Found this curious as well.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. We'll still do poker runs...we have met some good people, and a lot of good rides out there.

Feel free to add your own discoveries, or flame away

Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most of these, all very good points. One thing that gets me is: When you stop for gas, pick a station on the right side of the road. That way, everyone doesn't have to make a left hand turn in busy traffic!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser

I think you have hit on all of my pet peeves. Most of these reasons are why we don't do many poker runs anymore. All the craziness is worse at the end of the day when they are racing back to the final stop!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I just likes to rides when and wheres I likes...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
sixareborn
Advanced

good post

Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser

I've never done a poker run, but with all this whining, I don't see why I'd want to start. I'll just write my check and donate to a worthy cause, skipping the nonsense.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the guy that throws 20 G at a new bike comes to his first run with his honey they be 2 up than has a few beers and just drives straight off the road coming into a curve priceless ! happen 2x this year with in 2 weeks of each other

Old 09-19-2009, 12:36 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The things you listed and a lot you didn't list is why I no longer do poker runs and will no longer ride with more than one other rider. There are so many idiots and poor riders out there, I am happiest when I ride by myself.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 217 Likes on 103 Posts

I hate poker runs cause I never win!!!!!! Born to be a loser!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

That's exactly why I don't do many poker runs anymore! Plus I never win anything either!!

Quick Reply: Poker run discoveries