General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poker run discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
2. There's always the idiots that after a moving right turn, have to gun it like crazy and slam on their brakes when they get to the person in front of them. We saw four bikes in one incident go down in the last run due this type of behavior. Even after this got communicated at the very next stop, people continued to ride like this. What's with the need of demonstrating idiotic testosterone?
Happened today. Not going to go as far as call the young lady an idiot. But it appeared she made that right turn at the light and was hauling *** to catch up with the lead pack, and had to stand on the brakes when she got there, locked it up, lost control and went down. Broken ankle and some nasty road rash. I hope she's doing well. Hate to see stuff like that happen.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 627 Posts

Poker Runs bring out the worse of what the community hjas to offer - on both sides, the riders' side and the organizer's side.

I've been riding for a long time and many miles - 250,000+ and i've seen the change. It's good to see more folk on motorcycles - just wish more of them could ride!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got through helping out with a poker run. Since it was coming through our county, the Supreme LEO said that we (my partner and I) would man one of the stops. We pull into this little Stop-N-Rob only to find out that the organizers have done nothing in the way of preparation. We bought several decks of playing cards and talked the clerks into getting us a table in the corner of the store. When the riders began arriving we discovered that no one had been manning the previous stop at all. We allowed everyone to draw two cards and we checked off their hands. During the several hours we were there we never did see anyone from the organization. It was raining quite hard at times as well. In spite of this, every one of the riders had a very positive attitude and they were all very supportive of the cause. Their attitudes actually made it all worthwhile for us. I hope the rest of the run went well for them.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
sgtjeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you're describing seems to be about group riding. Now many organized bike runs are group rides I find that poker runs aren't. (Maybe it's just a definition thing) When you sign up at one you usually get a list of directions to each checkpoint and you ride on your own. That's the main thing I like about poker runs. Although I do some group riding as I'm with the Blue Knights, I'd much rather ride alone. On poker runs I get to ride at my own leisure and still can socialize with other bikers.
Some of my positives & negatives about poker runs.
Positives:
1) Get to see some nice scenery especially if you go on an out of town run. I really enjoy the Lake George Americade poker run although I missed the last 10 as I usually go to the Americade for the weekend and the poker run is mid week.
2) Socializing with other bikers and checking out their bikes.
3) The competitions: both the poker hand itself and the competitions at the BBQ like the slow ride.
4) The fact you can ride by yourself.

Negatives:
1) Waiting on a long line with hundreds of people for a hot dog, hamburger, and a soda/beer.
2) Having to pull over a number of times to check the direction sheet. I usually ride solo so I don't have a passenger to read it to me.

There is a poker run today sponsored by the NYS FOP on Long Island which I would have loved to attend but unfortunately they scheduled it on Rosh Hashonah which I'm observing.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtjeff
Although I do some group riding as I'm with the Blue Knights,
Our group here is a great bunch of guys. I had fun on their charity run. You get to ride alone or with whoever, whatever you want to do. They give you 6 hrs to get back. We turned a 150 mile ride into 250 just sight seeing along the way. Stopped at a museum, fixed some windows at my uncles.....still got back in time.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:10 PM
wildmn
Cruiser

Did iI push your button, its your thread expect other people opinions

you still like to BITCH

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Here I thought a Poker Run meant that at some point on the run you could have sex with your passenger,

no, that would be a "Poke her" run.

and let's try to keep this thread civil everyone else

Old 09-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Buzzy204
Intermediate

Note to self, hang around with the organizers.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most poker runs I've been to you can draw your 5 cards right there at the sign in table and not even ride if that's what you want to do.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wildmn
Did iI push your button, its your thread expect other people opinions

you still like to BITCH
Nah, you are nowhere close to pushing my buttons. You made the comment about loneliness, figured you were just self-referencing.

Here's a cat you can watch.

Quick Reply: Poker run discoveries