Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash today (Crotch Rocket)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: Crash today (Crotch Rocket)

ORIGINAL: Lawdawg

We just had a rider killed by a drunk as she turned in front of him (left turn). The rider was not wearing a helmet and was going 98 in a 45. After looking at the case the State Attorney is not going to file DUI Manslaughter charges, they said that even though she was drunk, .207 legal limit is .08, he was exceeding the speed limit when he hit her. They will file charges for DUI though. Needless to say the family is not happy with this decision.
I can understand the family not being happy on one side.

Well they can always go for the civil lawsuit against the woman. With a DUI on top of it (actually that might be an extreme DUI, it would be in Arizona!), she might as well plan on filing for bankruptcy.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Bluerose

After looking at the picture I was wondering how the bike got up on the car like that?

It's a shame to hear about any crash. I've never been a lead foot (or lead hand for that matter) so I don't get the whole 98 in a 45 thing. I figure the speed limit is there for a reason. While I can't say I never exceed the speed limit, I do think 50 mph over it is a tad excessive.

Last time I was in a court room for a stupid ticket (parking/missing license plate on front) a guy was in there for doing in excess of 100 m.p.h.. Besides getting reckless driving he was given a $3k fine and 2000 hours of community service. Don't remeber if they suspended his license.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I see it this way.When your time is up it's up.
If you go through life worrying about dieing..think of all the life you miss out on.
Right now I'm 44.The last 26 have been spent riding Harleys and being a NYC Sandhog.If you Google that youll see what I do.Kinda like an urban miner.Explosive Blaster in tunnels and shafts.Niether the job nor the bikes have killed me.YET...
I quit smoking 6 months ago because my kids asked me to.
I started watching my diet after my wife asked me to.Eat healthier.
When I ride I ride it like I stole it.Wind screaming with a 1968 helmet that barely stays on.Over 100 you can hear the banshees wail.My 84 is a little faster than the 06 Glide once ya wind it out.Ive done all I can to the 84..
Hell if I changed the way I do things I might get hit by a bus somewhere.
Live your life,you only get one chance and you wont get out alive

Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Qball

This kid crashed today in my town. Speed was a factor, no helmet on driver who was flown out by helicopter with head injuries. Female passenger had a helmet on and was in stable condition.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2333/496537F2AADC4EB5A6283F5C4651F5C6.jpg[/IMG]

You sure it wasn't just another way to trailer home from Laconia??

Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was thinking the same thing... or at least a nice jester on the cage drivers part to share the tow truck...
ORIGINAL: dirtnap664

ORIGINAL: Qball

This kid crashed today in my town. Speed was a factor, no helmet on driver who was flown out by helicopter with head injuries. Female passenger had a helmet on and was in stable condition.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2333/496537F2AADC4EB5A6283F5C4651F5C6.jpg[/IMG]

You sure it wasn't just another way to trailer home from Laconia??
...(I know Im a smarta$$)

Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sandhog

I totally agree and the fact that I am still here is proof.......I believe God is not done with me yet......because I shoulda been dead years ago.....

Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Surly
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sandhog

If you go through life worrying about dieing..think of all the life you miss out on.
Right now I'm 44.The last 26 have been spent riding Harleys and being a NYC Sandhog.If you Google that youll see what I do.Kinda like an urban miner.Explosive Blaster in tunnels and shafts.Niether the job nor the bikes have killed me.YET...
I quit smoking 6 months ago because my kids asked me to.
I started watching my diet after my wife asked me to.Eat healthier.
When I ride I ride it like I stole it.Wind screaming with a 1968 helmet that barely stays on.Over 100 you can hear the banshees wail.My 84 is a little faster than the 06 Glide once ya wind it out.Ive done all I can to the 84..
Hell if I changed the way I do things I might get hit by a bus somewhere.
Live your life,you only get one chance and you wont get out alive
Live your life for sure and I can say I have not been a stickler for speed limits in my past but unless you count playing russian roulette as "Living your life" then 98 in a 45 zone is just plain stupid. At the very least have some consideration for times and places.

cheers
Surly

Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

98 in a 45 is stupid.
Selling a bike that will do 140 to a kid who just got his licence is stupid.
Allowing kids under 16 to smoke on the street in front of the cops without arresting them BUT, arresting the store owner for selling them the smokes in the first place is stupid.
Stupidity is most likely the only thing between us and overpopulation.
I do draw the line and try to hold reasonable limits when others might be jepordized by my actions.I dont put others in danger.
Surly you live in Perth...you swim with sharks....

Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

A few months ago we had a guy crash wearing a helmeyt and he is now paralyzed from the neck down. The doctors told him if he hadn't had the helmet on he'd be dead. I'd rather be dead.
I'd rather be dead too.... however, sometimes you end up drooling all over yourself and wearing Depends for the rest of your life.

Not advocating hellmates. Each to his own. But if you're going to ride like Superman.. you'd better be stuffing yourself into a lot of protective gear.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I agree on the selling bikes capable of warp speed to newbies. It is a common thing around here. Every dealer will sell some kid a Busa or ZX-14 no questions asked. If they can bury them in the note they'll push it on the kid. Even the 636's are more bike than most riders can handle.

Britan has a graduated licensing program based on CC's, try to get a bike bigger than 700 cc's in Japan... doesn't happen they are illegal. They export the stuff they think is too dangerous for thier riders.

most of these rice bkes will break triple digit speeds in second gear. I know mine does.

Honeybunch works forthe insurance co that insures those big brown trucks. she has an accident report on her desk about an accident in CT where the truck was making a left turn, some rice bike does a warp speed pass over the yellow line past the 2 cars in back of the big brown truck hitting the back of the turning truck... He was alive when they loaded him in the ambulance but DOA at the hospital.

Quick Reply: Crash today (Crotch Rocket)