General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was he thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Saltydog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was he thinking?

So I'm cruising down one of the local county highways when a tricked out pick-up truck pulls up along me on my left side. (Four lane highway) He starts doing the speed up, slow down, thing right next to me. I look at him like, are you serious? I'm not one for racing around but I knew the road, I knew 55 MPH was coming up and there were no intersections. So, what the hell?" I'm doing fifty in 5th gear @ 2100 rpms when we came up on the sign. I didn't bother dropping it into 4th I just opened it up and went into sixth around 80 and looked in my rear view mirror at 100, he was fifty yards behind me so I backed off. I felt that was sufficient. Then he comes roaring past me (Several seconds later) as if to say "I won!"

Seriously what was he thinking?

I was riding the Screaming Fat Bob.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

We all know better and a 50 over ticket is no laughing matter, but, damn it sometimes a man just gotta do what a man gotta do.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
ajb2222
Intermediate

Sounds you want to prove something also. To him, and now to us. Am I supposed to be impressed because you can leave a Truck in the dust with your motorcycle?

When guys pull the I want to race thing I just ignore them. If they keep on it I will slow down and let them go on ahead. 100 MPH in a 55MPH zone, not very smart.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

Mean while that guy is posting in his truck forum about the dude on the harley that he let get ahead of him just so he could smoke him really badly.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajb2222
Sounds you want to prove something also. To him, and now to us. Am I supposed to be impressed because you can leave a Truck in the dust with your motorcycle?

When guys pull the I want to race thing I just ignore them. If they keep on it I will slow down and let them go on ahead. 100 MPH in a 55MPH zone, not very smart.
Ignore him? Not me. I love excuses to blast off! LOL
The only thing that I would have done different is to downshift first, sometimes even two gears, depending on the current speed.

No, I have nothing to prove, but I do get extreme pleasure from it.

Each to his own I suppose.
You may ride yours anyway you see fit, and I will ride mine how I see fit.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saltydog
So I'm cruising down one of the local county highways when a tricked out pick-up truck pulls up along me on my left side. (Four lane highway) He starts doing the speed up, slow down, thing right next to me. I look at him like, are you serious? I'm not one for racing around but I knew the road, I knew 55 MPH was coming up and there were no intersections. So, what the hell?" I'm doing fifty in 5th gear @ 2100 rpms when we came up on the sign. I didn't bother dropping it into 4th I just opened it up and went into sixth around 80 and looked in my rear view mirror at 100, he was fifty yards behind me so I backed off. I felt that was sufficient. Then he comes roaring past me (Several seconds later) as if to say "I won!"

Seriously what was he thinking?

I was riding the Screaming Fat Bob.
After riding my Road King for 40k miles, I finally came to the conclusion that I'm not riding the fastest machine on the road. It's made for cruisin' not abusin'!!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he was admiring your bike? No one has ever made any "you wanna race" conotations to me. But I have kicked it hard when someone tailgates me.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbnl163
After riding my Road King for 40k miles, I finally came to the conclusion that I'm not riding the fastest machine on the road. It's made for cruisin' not abusin'!!
I totally agree with that

Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

He did a ricer flyby.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geeze!! He was just having a little fun!

Quick Reply: What was he thinking?