General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teaching my girlfriend to ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the suggestions take her and the bike to a parking lot and practice a lot of slow riding. Ride Like a Pro DVD is very helpfull. Once she gets confident with the parking lot routines, take her out on some rural roads that don't have a lot of traffic on them and then keep adding things that will be a bit more challenging.

On a personal note, teaching a spouse or girlfriend to ride is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing - you will frutstrate yourself and **** off the pig. Seriously, be patient - I've seen too many examples where the teacher wasn't patient enough and the teachee gave up.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Brickhrd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen to that one!!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky man! At least she wants to learn and not NAG on you for riding. Some guys get all the luck. Count your blessings. She will pick it up fine. I think wanting to learn if 1/2 the battle.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
rookie003
Intermediate

Took my wife to a local school where the band practices, all black top and no poles. I work at a dairy and brought home several cases, set them up for some serpintine manuvers with a stop after acouple of runs thru. Just let her go round and round going thru the gears feeling comfortable shifting and stopping. This was before she took the riders edge at the local dealer. So when it was time for the classes she felt comfortable and with what the instructors taught she passed no problem. She never rode any kind of motorcycle growing up.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Msf course before anything. Oh and women that ride their own bikes......it's hot.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain

Hot is right! Women that ride are the best. Got a gem there.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
When my wife passed the MSF course, she came home to a new Deluxe in the garage with her name all over it. She had no idea that I was getting it for her. We spent an hour or so every evening for about 2 weeks just going to a parking lot nearby and letting her get used to the feel of the bike, and the controls. I made sure that she practiced what the MSF course taught her, and reinforced those lessons with additional practice and demonstration when needed. We worked on starting, turning, stopping and most importantly, emergancy stopping. She would be riding along and I would yell STOP!! and she would straighten the bike and stop wherever she was. When she felt a little more confident, we graduated to residential streets ( subdivisions around here are all on curvy roads) so she could get used to other things out there, like kids...dogs, cars etc..

Finally, she asked to go out on the main roads, so I took her around a 2 mile loop of all right hand turns, and then reveresed directions so she could practice Left turns. When she felt ready, she just continued past the turn and kept ongoing.

She is now very good rider, and loves riding her Deluxe. Rode from Detroit to Key West last year, and plan on doing the yellowstone, black hills trip this next summer.

Word of caution... No matter what she does...No matter how badly she messes up.. DO NOT get upset. Just point out to her that what she did was a good try, but next time try "XXXXX" and describe what she should have done. This will reinforce her confidence.

If you get upset, she will become even more upset thanyou, and thats not a thing you want happening when she is on the bike.
100% Correct!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BonesNBob
I must chim in here with a woman's point of view. I have been riding my own for almost 2 years now, and the following is the recomendations I would give to a man teaching their wife/girlfriend to ride. Hope you find this helpful.

#1: let her take the class FIRST before buying the bike, let her make sure this is something she really wants to do. (at first I wish I had taken the class before I bought my first bike)
#2: My husband started with the "teaching me how to ride" and things got pretty tense. Thank God for my father-in-law. I highly suggest that you do not teach her to ride no matter how wonderful and bullet proof you relationship is. Have a friend you trust or someone you ride with alot to help. You be there, but let the suggestions come from the third party. (Then she can fuss about him/her and not at/about you!)
#3: Be very patient with her. I cannot stress this enough. When she does something good or right, praise her (we are just like kids you know LOL) Remember, this is unknown territory for her.
#4: I agree with everyone else, no road at first....repeat NO ROAD AT FIRST, please. A church parking lot on a Saturday is usually deserted. They are nice and flat with few obsticles (at least in the south they are LOL)!!!!! The road was very, very intemidating for me. I am SOOOOO glad I did not start off riding on the road.

Have fun and good luck!!!! Keep the shinny side up.
N (the Bob part of BonesNBob)
Here, here especially on point #2. Tried to teach my wife to ski.....ruined it forever!! She told me she will never try skiing again. Lesson learned.