General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small, enclosed motorcycle trailer - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
DHart
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small, enclosed motorcycle trailer - recommendations?

We've been thinking about buying a small enclosed trailer to take our Road King on occasions where we won't want to ride to where we're going, but will want the bike when we get there. I like the idea of enclosed so whatever's in the trailer is protected from the elements and not visually obvious.

I have only one bike and generally speaking it will be the only bike being trailered, although I can see how there might be an occasion to take a friend's bike along. Is it smarter to buy one with room for two bikes rather than just one? I do want to keep cost and size down, but thinking that with a somewhat larger trailer that could take two bikes, we could use the extra space to haul other stuff sometimes. Will be pulling with a Yukon XL Denali.

I'm not sure what the basics are that I need to have with such a trailer... 2 wheels? 4 wheels? Better brands? Weight capacities? What is the smallest size that will handle two Road Kings? Thanks, in advance, for your advice!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

V-nose'd trailer's are the way to go,easier to pull and,easier on gas.Single axle is all you need,2000lb haul rated.6x10 or 12 would work,for a single put the mc up in the v,for two put them side by side.Tight fit but it will work,for something with a fairing put one forward and the other backward's.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Bigger is better, if for no other reason than it is easier to load and tie down the bike.
I think you will be surprised at how handy a trailer is and how much you use it.
Towing with a pickup or small vehicle teh V-nose is the way to go, less drag, better mileage. It probably won't make a huge difference if your towing with the Yukon.

Smallest I'd consider would be a 6x10 single axle.
7x16 or 8x16 double axle would be a really nice size trailer to have around.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
kickstandkaddy
Collections Hold
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

interstate is a good brand
I have been looking at 20ft types over the past few months. Bigger is better. If you want to haul a car or move a friends stuff a 20ft does it all.
I have looked at ebay there is a lot out there

Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to get a bunch of different answers on this. Get at least a 14 x 7 and I don't like v-nose trailers. The taller the trailer the more wind drag and wind rock. Look at it's weight rating. An overloaded or improperly loaded trailer pulls like crap and is dangerous. Solid floors and tie downs anchored on frame, not on plywood. Buy cheap or too short and narrow -----you will not keep it for long. JMO

Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did this myself for the same reasons. I chose a continental cargo 5x10 v-nose single-axle. Ample room for the bike (07 street glide) and getting around it to tie-down; plus gear and other things if desired. Installed a condor and 4 tie-downs...rides solid as a rock. Got it low (only about 5' interior height) to reduce drag when towing...but cannot stand-up straight inside, which wasn't important to me. Did not get electric trailer brakes installed...after several trips it doesn't seem they're needed.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a Wells Cargo 5X10 for our Ultra Classic that we like very much. Do not like V shapes because it provides too much trailer for the amount of usable storage space, plus with your Denali, not that much reduced air drag. I purchased this single bike trailer from a friend that went to a two bike trailer. He now regrets doing this because he does not use it for two bikes near as much as he thought he would, misses having a small trailer that tracks in the same tracks as his tow vehicle, now requires more fuel and much more cumberson for towing and storing. When we offset our bike a few inches to the left, it leaves plenty of room along the side and behind of bike for storage, such as coolers etc. Hang cloths on hangers across the front. Works perfect for us, maybe not for others but having any enclosed trailer is great for keeping them clean and protected.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 PM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

When my wife bought her trike the Po threw in a 6x12 Pace American Legacy motorcycle trailer. It has a ramp door in the back and a side door to enter. Its a lttle over 6 foot tall and pulls like a dream

Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much of a mileage hit is there going from a single screw to a dual screw setup?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont make the mistake of putting Harley stickers on it. Every year at rallies trailers get stolen for that reason. One rally they took truck and trailer.

Quick Reply: Small, enclosed motorcycle trailer - recommendations?