General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XLCH; "kicker" for a first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

He's very enthusiastic; has been riding my old XL250 whenever he can, has ridden my FXDXT and loves the "older style" bikes. I would be buying the bike and letting him ride it; he's got a toddler and they just had twins so he's not going anywhere "touring" for quite a while...I started on a BSA 650 Spitfire and had a Norton 750 up to a few years ago; great character builders...we'll keep our eyes peeled this winter for a suitable ride...I'm led to believe that the Ironheads are somewhat expensive and difficult to work with if the engine has to be opened up, opinions?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love my yamaha xs650. reliable, easy to work on, parts everywhere and has a kicker.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jurob
love my yamaha xs650. reliable, easy to work on, parts everywhere and has a kicker.
Mine, too. Had three actually, sold two but kept my '71.

I love that bike.

But I wouldn't suggest it for a starter bike, given what else is out there for so cheap.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

I think an XS650 would be great; electric and kick, enough power for traffic...had a Special in '78 and it served me well...the son-in-law and I both really like the looks of this one:

Attached Thumbnails XLCH; "kicker" for a first bike?-yamaha_xs650_custom.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Visited a co-workers home in the country today (10 miles from pavement) and he had an old 1974 Sporty XLCH in the machine shed, which I aked if I could try starting...it hadn't run yet this year...
With some well taken advice on techinque, I got it running without working up too much of a sweat or getting hurt on the couple of kickbacks; what a sweet sounding old bike! My son-in-law is wanting to get started in biking and I think a kicker; ie an old brit bike or even an XLCH would be a good initiation...I wouldn't want it to be too easy on him...what do you guys think?
I wish I still had my 1973 XLCH!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Difficult and expensive to work on? Well that's all relative to your knowledge, tools, and wallet. This XLCH Ironhead is about as straightforward and simple to work on as anything else that you will find running the roads today.

Some people bad mouth the AMF Harleys but I owned two of them and had no problems or complaints with them. I would not hesitate to buy this bike if the price is not unreasonable (as compared to similar year and condition Harleys).

Being a Harley motorcyclist, the only other brands I would consider are those British ones that you are familiar with but the Sportster will be much more reliable and less finicky. To love a British bike or car, you have to love to tinker. At least that is my long ago happy experience with both.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the kid a headache and find him a late model bike for cheap. It would suck to lose someone from motorcycling from a PITA experience with an old bike. Especially if that older bike doesn't run/ride well.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Visited a co-workers home in the country today (10 miles from pavement) and he had an old 1974 Sporty XLCH in the machine shed, which I aked if I could try starting...it hadn't run yet this year...
With some well taken advice on techinque, I got it running without working up too much of a sweat or getting hurt on the couple of kickbacks; what a sweet sounding old bike! My son-in-law is wanting to get started in biking and I think a kicker; ie an old brit bike or even an XLCH would be a good initiation...I wouldn't want it to be too easy on him...what do you guys think?
Get him the XLCH....He'll no doubt learn much more on that path....

Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Difficult and expensive to work on? Well that's all relative to your knowledge, tools, and wallet. This XLCH Ironhead is about as straightforward and simple to work on as anything else that you will find running the roads today.

Some people bad mouth the AMF Harleys but I owned two of them and had no problems or complaints with them. I would not hesitate to buy this bike if the price is not unreasonable (as compared to similar year and condition Harleys).

Being a Harley motorcyclist, the only other brands I would consider are those British ones that you are familiar with but the Sportster will be much more reliable and less finicky. To love a British bike or car, you have to love to tinker. At least that is my long ago happy experience with both.
I am no wrench by any stretch, but I certainly agree with this. My Sportster was very reliable and kicking a bike to life is still a rush that never gets old for me. I enjoyed every bit of owning that bike and it never left me stranded anywhere.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
swampfoto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ah, the old days

My first Harley was also a 1974 XLCH. Still have the scars to prove it. Young and foolish, replaced the rear shocks with chromed struts, sat on a sliver of leather for a seat and the drag pipes made you teeth rattle. Too be young again!

Quick Reply: XLCH; "kicker" for a first bike?