General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The nickname fits... "Stealers"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The nickname fits... "Stealers"

I gotta' vent.... I don't know who coined the term "Stealers" for these guys, but I think I must agree.

I emailed my local HD shop and asked for a quote on my 20K Service. Also wanted new brakes front & back. While there, I thought they could look at why my HD garage door operner option won't program.

$1214.73.

20K Service portion: $750.00 5.5hrs @ $114.00/hr.
Change engine oil & filter, replace primary & trans lubricants. Adjust clutch, clean air filter, replace fork oil, and replace spark plugs. Also they will adjust steering head bearings & retorque all critical fastners, fastners include hand controls, brakes, axles,forks, & handlebars. Also they inspect oil lines, brake systems, wheel spokes, drive belt, controls, electrical switches, idle speed, brake pads, rotors, tire tread, & battery & charging system.

Brakes: $143.00
Diag on the opener: $228.00

Is this for real.?? I'm going to have to go buy a rice burner. I can't afford to ride a Harley.

If anyone knows a good indy in the East Bay (SF Bay Area), I'd love to get a recommendation.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

DD

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just did the checksw on the 20k and 25k myself, had indy to do the tires and at 21 still don't need front brakes. Its getting re-dick-u-less on some things..

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might, up to you tho, want to get a service manual and ((hold on to your hat)) do your own service!!! get those clean finger nails a bit dirty..who knows you might really like it.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
omgtkk
Road Master

1200 bucks for what amounts to a fluid change and fork oil service and a few adjustments. I'd venture a conservative guess that if I started that job myself after breakfast on a Sunday, I could have it done and be riding by lunchtime and wouldn't have spent more than $75 for supplies.
Like Ironhand said, learn how to do it yourself. After all, who do you trust most to inspect those 'critical fasteners', you or the kid in the service department who's being pressured to get your bike done as quickly as possible so they can roll the next one in.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ironhand,
I agree. I will get the manual and start doing some of this myself. I don't mind getting dirty... I work for a living. My biggest problem is tools and know-how. I don't even know what/where all the parts even are on a motorcycle. I haven't been riding long. A little over a year on this bike. 30 years ago I had a little Sporty, but it was an AMF version, 1981 I think, and it was a piece of sh -t. I'm simply amazed at the costs they charge. Somebody must be paying their prices, they aren't goin down.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Learn or Earn, that's what I told my kids.
Either "learn" how to work on it, or "earn" LOTSA $$ to pay someone to do it for you.

Dammt, I live in the WRONG friggin' part o' the country .................AGAIN !! Someone is makin' GOOD coin out there. (BUT my guess is, it AINT the guy turnin' the wrenches.)

Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
FXSTaCy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try craigslist in your area. As the "stealers" are laying off, some of the mech.'s are going indy. Some giving at your door service.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I do my own services so I don't know what they cost at a dealer. I do know that Reiman's HD in Kewanee Illinois has a $55/hr labor rate. I did see the service fees for the various intervals but I didn't pay any attention.

Should I run into trouble and need help, their tech lives across the street and I could get him to come over for some beer.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

If they charge too much, I wonder why so many went out of business in the last two years. Maybe they did not charge enough.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

There has got to be other people that ride where you live that work on their own bikes. There is a world of knowledge out there and the manual will get you pointed in the right direction. Look at your owners manual and it will tell you what needs to be done at that service interval. The HD repair manual will help show you how to do it. This forum has some good mechanics on it. Take your time and plan out your moves. Loctite what you need to keep and anti- seize what you don't want to strip or twist off. I believe in a properly set torque wrench.

Quick Reply: The nickname fits... "Stealers"