General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kamikaze Swallows

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
flgator529
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kamikaze Swallows

Here in central Florida late in the day this time of the year we have huge flocks of Kamikaze Birds flying at you then turning at the last moment. In all my years I have only hit one. Anyone else have to deal with the crazy little Swallows?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Once when I was riding around Amish country I got hit in the throat by a swallow. Come to think of it, that's pretty ironic. It was like getting punched in the throat and made it hard to breath for a while. But it was not a flock of suicidal birds, just the one.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, they're birds. They can't read a book or watch TV when they're bored, so they buzz vehicles on the road. I actually had this discussion with an ornithologist when I was in school. He was trying to come up with a survival/Darwinian reason for birds buzzing cars (here in the Northeast, robins love to fly across the road in front of vehicles of all kinds.) I was backing the "It's fun" thesis. It's what I'd do if I was a bird...

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
DoobieBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, from the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about some chick in a bar or something.

But yeah I've had the same happen. Some dumb *** big white bird (not sure what kind it was) did that to me the other day going down the highway. I actually had to duck to keep the sucker from hitting me in the head. For some reason I couldn't stop laughing afterward.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread is for the birds

Sorry I couldn't help myself

Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, just this Saturday, we took a ride to Roland Martins Tiki Bar, on the south side of lake okeechobee. on the way home i actually ducked once because the damn thing came so close. i must have scared him because he crapped and it landed on my boot. then my wife smacked me on the back of the helmet because she didnt duck like me, and said that it came real close to her. NO LUV BUGS THO...THEY ARENT AROUND THIS YEAR YET

Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DoobieBrother
Man, from the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about some chick in a bar or something.
I was thinking the same thing..

Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm disappointed by this thread's content.......when I read the title I thought Kamikaze was your girlfriend's name or sumthn...........

edit: should have read the whole thread; I see Im not the only one who was expecting "more" from this thread....LOL

Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I used to get bombed by them when I'd mow my parents field. From kicking up all the insects I'd have a good dozen of them buzz around.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
flgator529
Tourer

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
Yep, just this Saturday, we took a ride to Roland Martins Tiki Bar, on the south side of lake okeechobee. on the way home i actually ducked once because the damn thing came so close. i must have scared him because he crapped and it landed on my boot. then my wife smacked me on the back of the helmet because she didnt duck like me, and said that it came real close to her. NO LUV BUGS THO...THEY ARENT AROUND THIS YEAR YET
I live in Okeechobee we are talking about the same dam birds on the same dam road.

Quick Reply: Kamikaze Swallows