General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love Bugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009 | 10:04 PM
mdalex
Intermediate

I seemed to have noticed that they rarely drift north of I-20. Thankfully we have not have them as bad this year. My wife has a white car and normally we would have to wash them off everyday, rather than once a week. Another thing, the rains have helped to keep them down somewhat!

Old 09-14-2009 | 02:42 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior

Like said before 1/2 hot water and 1/2 liquid fabric softner. I mist it on let it sit a little, mist it on again let it sit a little and spray off with a hose or whipe with a nice soft towel. And a fabric softner sheet will scratch your paint I used it on my truck ONCE and it left small surface scratches I then had to buff out.

Old 09-14-2009 | 06:57 AM
mduggan
Cruiser

I know that this has been said before, but it bears repeating. If you will put some lemon Pledge on a soft towel and use it to wipe down your bike, bugs will not stick to it. It's that simple. I live in NE Florida and commute 50 miles a day; dark in the morning, light in the afternoon, I do not ever have a problem removing bugs from my bike (love or otherwise). I use Pledge on my chrome, my paint, my powder coat, my windshield, everywhere. It works and it looks great. It even keeps the bike cleaner longer. No dust build up. I also ride on some dirt roads.

Before I was a Pledge devotee, I had a beach towel that I would wet and lay over the bug covered parts of my bike to soften up the carcases before removal. After a good soak, lots of them would come off with a good blast from the hose. The rest had to be rubbed.

Old 09-14-2009 | 08:50 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Typically, this coming weekend is the height of the love bug season. i remember because I frequently go to the Bainbridge Bikefest this weekend. In the past, they were so bad you would have to wear a bandana over your faceto keep them out of your nose and mouth. From NW florida east down I-10 during love bug season it is like rain.

This year we had a few a week ago, but so far something in the weather has kept their numbers low.

The secret to removing them is keeping your bike waxed and not letting them stay on long. For those that stick, Simple Green will take them off without any problem, but you need to re wax after you use it.

For those that aren't familiar with them: They look like a lightening bug from up north that doesn't light. They come out twice a year by the millions literally. If they get on a painted surface and allowed to dry, they have an enzyme that eats into paint. They come out in such numbers that they will completely cover a windshield and front of a car or motorcycle.

Old 09-14-2009 | 10:06 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master

I remember thos things. We don't get them here in AZ. I can remeber being totally covered by the buggers.

Old 09-14-2009 | 11:17 AM
pappashelby
Tourer

They can get thick. This is from a trip thru FL in 07

Attached Thumbnails Love Bugs-dsc00642.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009 | 11:26 AM
ajb2222
Intermediate

You need to let them soak. Place a wet towel on the area and let it sit for an hour or two. Then wash with soap and water. do not use the towel you used to soak to wash the bike.

Old 09-14-2009 | 11:45 AM
username17
Cruiser

I just drove down to the Jacksonville FL area from Virginia.
I got hit with a TON of bugs.

The lovebugs would hit my visor and slide to the left or the right.
Not the best thing to look through while riding.

I'll take a pic of my bike once I have a chance, I just got back and haven't washed it yet.
But there's a pic of my Helmet and Jacket.

I ended up washing my visor twice while I was down in FL.
This was just from the return trip.

And here's my jacket. The bugs aren't as clear, but they're all over.

Old 09-14-2009 | 12:09 PM
TattedUp
|
Tourer

yea there not bad yet but they r gettin there. I just wanted to see who else has love for them.

Old 09-14-2009 | 12:10 PM
TattedUp
|
Tourer

Yea I'm gonna try that pledge recipe.

Quick Reply: Love Bugs