Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figure this one out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
DWG05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figure this one out.

I'm riding along on my 05 DWG, look down and the speedo has quit, I said WTF! Came to a stop sign with my signal on, pulled the clutch in, and the motor dies. Starts right up, won't idle but will run at RPM, make the turn, and the speedo is still dead, no miles being registered, plus the turn signal won't self cancel. Another mile passes and the speedo starts working again and showing miles traveled. Come to another stop, speedo working, miles showing, engine stays running AND this time the turn signal cancels. What the heck could these four things have in common. No code was set that I can see. Called the dealer and they are baffled, told me to bring it in when the speedo quits again. Right!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:35 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Check the speedo sensor and the sensor down by the oil filter. It's name escapes me at the moment.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:38 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is the speedo sensor. i had the exact same problem. replaced the sensor and fixed it. you maybe able to clean it and have it work.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

SPEED SENSOR!!! It happened to my bike a couple weeks ago...same thing, speedo died, bike died at stop signs, no miles registered on odo. The dealer cleaned it and stuck it back in the first time....lasted two days before it did exactly the same thing again. This time we ordered a new one and the bike is running great.

Do a search here on the forum for Speed Sensor. I believe a couple guys changed them on their bikes themselves...I let the dealer do if for me.

I hope this helps...ride safe.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

On a couple of occasions, my bike has done that - no speedo, no odometer. I don't know if the turn signal would self cancel or not - the only time mine actually do that is when I manually hit the switch to turn it off, it will cancel a split second before so I end up turning it back on. If I don't touch the switch, the turn signal will stay on for the next 20 miles.

Anyway... one time, I turned on the bike, everything lit up, except for the odometer. When I got going, the speedo wasn't working. I shut everything down, fired everything back up, and it was fine.

Once, the bike died at a stop light and wouldn't fire up again. It would crank, but not start. I pushed it over to the side of the road. Decided to try turning the ignition switch off and back on - fired right up, ran fine.

The weirdest one was when it just shut down at 70 mph. Cruising along just fine, all of the sudden, the speedo drops to zero, the odometer goes blank, and the motor quits. Pulled in the clutch, reached down, turned the ignition off and back on, popped the clutch, it fired back up and we kept going.

These 3 events were spread out over the past year. ... not a problem that has popped up with any frequency or under any particular circumstance.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
On a couple of occasions, my bike has done that - no speedo, no odometer. I don't know if the turn signal would self cancel or not - the only time mine actually do that is when I manually hit the switch to turn it off, it will cancel a split second before so I end up turning it back on. If I don't touch the switch, the turn signal will stay on for the next 20 miles.

Anyway... one time, I turned on the bike, everything lit up, except for the odometer. When I got going, the speedo wasn't working. I shut everything down, fired everything back up, and it was fine.

Once, the bike died at a stop light and wouldn't fire up again. It would crank, but not start. I pushed it over to the side of the road. Decided to try turning the ignition switch off and back on - fired right up, ran fine.

The weirdest one was when it just shut down at 70 mph. Cruising along just fine, all of the sudden, the speedo drops to zero, the odometer goes blank, and the motor quits. Pulled in the clutch, reached down, turned the ignition off and back on, popped the clutch, it fired back up and we kept going.

These 3 events were spread out over the past year. ... not a problem that has popped up with any frequency or under any particular circumstance.
All of that boils down to the fact that later model bikes are dependent on a computer (ICM/ECM etc.) to function. The computer is getting garbage data from a sensor and crashing. Turning the key off and back on, forces the computer to reboot.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
All of that boils down to the fact that later model bikes are dependent on a computer (ICM/ECM etc.) to function. The computer is getting garbage data from a sensor and crashing. Turning the key off and back on, forces the computer to reboot.
Yup. ... and I'm a serious computer geek. Working on computers, I sometimes reboot a system repeatedly as I'm working on it. When someone calls and asks me about a computer problem, my first suggestion is almost always to reboot it.

The moral of the story is - for quite some time, my wife has wanted to get me vanity plates for my Jeep (or whatever) that say "Reboot"

...but I always tell her I don't want a license plate that's easy for anyone to remember.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWG05
What the heck could these four things have in common.
Did you look overhead to make sure there were no spaceships?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:40 AM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

A speedo sensor will cost about $65 or $70 from the dealer. Very easy change out. I pulled my seat-clipped some nylon ties-unplugged the old sensor connection-removed one bolt holding faulty sensor in place-tossed faulty sensor in trash-installed new sensor-replaced sensor bolt-installed new nylon ties-made connection to sensor-installed seat-took test ride-saved myself some cash to pay for the repairs I am not able to complete. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Cacruzen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened on my 02 EGC right after I bought it. I was told by the dealer that that it was either the T.S.M. (turn signal module ) or the V.S.S. (vehicle speed sensor ) . In my case it was the V.S.S. On the EGC it is inserted into the transmission and in time it picks up the metal shaving from the slowly deteriorating transmission. In most cases you can just wipe off the metal shavings and re-insert. I opted to replace mine. The dealer said it isn't difficult to do and it wasn't. I did it myself in about 10 minutes and I am most definitely not a skilled mechanic. I haven't had any issues since. They are relatively inexpensive, about $60.00 .
In your case since the turn signals were affected it might the T.S.M. that needs to be replaced. I would recommend starting with the least expensive,easiest one to replace and I believe that is the V.S.S.
Good luck .....
Dale

Quick Reply: Figure this one out.