Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best 6 speed option???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Buzzin Brian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best 6 speed option???

Ok guys and gals, I am interested in doing a 6 speed upgrade to my 06 Deluxe but there are plenty of options out there. I am sure some are far better than most, and I do not want cheap junk. So what are the best options out there to do this upgrade? I was thinking about just buying the complete SE 6 speed, but it is not cheap at all. So I just wanted to be able to consider all of the options. I am very open to suggestions! I plan to upgrade the bike to a 103 big bore and 6 speed at the same time. So it will be torn completely down. So just about any option should be doable.

Thanks tons!

Brian

Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put a SE 6 speed in my 05 RG 52000 miles ago, it's one of the best upgrades I've done. The other was the 95" kit, it's a great combo.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There are many different options out there and im sure within a couple days you will have 50 posts on the subject.

I run an Ultima 6 speed and i have installed many of them. In my opinion they are the best bang for the buck as far as the lower priced 6 speeds go. I run the dog s**t outa my bike (99 dyna) and have never had one single problem with it.

Now with having said that if i had my choice of 6 speed where money wasnt an issue i would get an S+S 6 speed tranny. I installed one in my buddies bike and you can definately tell the difference between his $2k tranny and my $800 tranny. The difference in shift feel is amazing.

The Ultima trannys will more than handle the power of mildly modifies bikes. If you plan on going for over 100hp then i would highly suggest the more expensive trannys

Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Buzzin Brian
Advanced

The 103 we are building on paper so far will likely be in the 100-104hp range. So that is very good information for sure! Keep it comming!

Brian

Old 09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the more expensive trannys for higher hp bikes its all a matter of opinion. They are all good trannys with really no problems. S+S, Baker, SE, Jims. Theyll all handle the power so it all comes down to what kind of deal you can get on it, and what manufacturer you prefer. Some require minor modifications to the tranny case which can easily be done with a dremel or grinding bit on an air tool.

Good luck, and happy riding

Old 09-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Buzzin Brian
Advanced

I have found a few decent deals on the SE 6 speed gear sets, but was a little concerned about the modifications needed. I have seen what has to be done, and I guess unless you intend to go back to the stock setup (not likely) the mod should not be THAT big of a deal. My best friend is a harley shop foman, so he knows how to do all of this stuff. So that is for sure an option. I have seen the cheaper trannys and could not help but think you get what you pay for. It seems that is likely true for the higher HP engines.

Thanks again guys!

Brian

Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 1,821 Posts

When it is time, I'm going with the Baker OD6.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's Baker and then there's everything else.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want the Baker DD6 myself. As far as I know, it's the only direct drive 6 speed. Most are overdrive trans.

Quick Reply: What is the best 6 speed option???