General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Shovel, Rigid "kit" from J&P

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Tman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Shovel, Rigid "kit" from J&P

ORIGINAL: DMS0472

I want to start this out the right way, What do you think of a "guy" building a kit bike with a 93" Shovel in a rigid frame for around $14,500 less paint and chrome?
I was once told that one should never start out with a basket case for a first bike. A kit bike isnt a basket case though right? Everything needed, (the list is complete right down to oil and loctite), is included. Im just wondering if I have the wrench chops for the project. Its gonna take several months to save the cash anyway, so Im asking, Wise, or Foolish?
Have ridden metrics all my life but live to ride. I will not spend one more second riding by the HD's saying to myself, "man, I gotta have one!" ever again. And I think the experience of the build would be excellent.
Lets assume I am a novice, have changed the oil, have done light repairs, pulled parts off to have the shop do the special tool jobs. I can use a poof can, have a halfway decent set of tools. And Lots of time, time I got comin out of the walls. Being slightly disabled shouldnt be too big of a problem. Does this sound like a guy who can build a bike that will remain safe and run decent?
Any and all comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

that new guy

Look under the Hard Cord II builds to give you an idea of what you are going to go through:

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Old 06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

Ok here is the deal I have completed three frame off projects in my life time and now own a 06 UC because you never get through with a frame up or a frame off project ther is always something to do. Thats Ok if you have something to ride while you are working on the project. But when you are working on your project and everyone else is riding it sucks. The princple here is to start small and work your way up. Buy a bike and do some weekend up grades then when you get that bike to where you want it then try a full build.
Look on e-bay and you will see several unfinished projects for sale. its easy to get discourged when you take on to large a project before you are ready.
I'm not saying don't just prepare first.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the sig line TMAN. Now I have that GD song in my head.[X(]

Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 PM
DMS0472
Banned

06ALULTRA

Thanks, I am taking your message to heart, Your the first to put up a warning/advise, a good heads up on a project through ebay....
I have several months to decide.

Have a good one.