General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle = Risk

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 AM
gman697
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycle = Risk

Hey guys, ive recently just got interested in Harley's. All my life I have never really been into motorcycles, its always been muscle cars and ATVs. Im still debating on getting a Sportster but anyway let me get to the point. Ok, we have a Harley Davidson. It weighs an average of 600lbs and has 2 wheels. Making it basically the smallest vehicle on the road. Im scared if I buy one of these im going to be so paranoid of getting hit I wouldnt even enjoy it. I live in the country so I would really enjoy riding it on the back country roads but I cant imagine being on one in city traffic. I mean lets say your behind a car and he just slams on the brakes, you do the same, but the car behind you has a little delay(BAM!) I cant even imagine or want to. Specially it being a Semi with a fully loaded trailer behind him weighing at 40,000 lbs plus. I guess what im wanted to know is what are yall guys thinking and what kinda stuff do yall look out for when in heavy traffic and such? I know a motorcyle can be a lot of fun and its just a risk you have to take but I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Default RE: Cycle = Risk

If you're afraid of bikes don't ride one. There ARE risks involved however there are ways to make it safer. Protective clothes and a helmet are two and taking a motorcycle rider's course is another. And I highly suggest BOTH for a newbee. Motorcycles like a lot of things in life carry some risks, how you manage that risk is what's important. No helmet = a higher chance for head injury if you get into an accident. Learning to ride yourself = learning more from your mistakes rather from learning through training. Being AFRAID = not having a clear head. But there are risks in other parts of life too. Smoking = a higher risk of cancer. Being fat = higher risk if heart attacks. Being married = risking your sanity!

In all seriousness, motorcycles can be dangerious. You have to understand the risks and accept or reject them. Rejecting them means forget riding motorcycles. Accepting them means learn how to drive safely, learn about safety equipment available and make your personal decision where you want to play it safe and where you think the risk is low. A lot of riders never wear a helmet ... THEY decided they can live with that risk. Personally I always wear my helmet but that's my choice. And riding or not is your choice ... good luck!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

If you get hit by a 40,000 lb truck in your muscle car odds are likely that you are going to die just like if you were on a motorcycle. In the situation you mention leave 3 seconds time between you and the car in front of you and you won't have to slam on your brakes.

You can die sitting in front of the tv from a blood vessel poping in your brain or you arteries clogging. Do you sit around and worry about that? Tens of thousands of people die in car accidents every year. Pedestrians get run down in great numbers. Planes crash..people die in train crashes. If you sit around worrying about everything that could happen to you are going to die an early death from the effects of stress.

If you are so worried about being hit then don't buy a motorcycle. You will end up being one of those people who sell their bike with 200 miles on it. I am most worried about people making left turns in front of me. I think that is the biggest problem with motorcycle driving. People don't care if you are going to hit them so they dont' yeild the right of way. But being on a motorcycle you can avoid accidents that you couldn't when you were on a car.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the sticker says:

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your right, you are too paranoid to ride a bike. Keep safer and stay in a car, but watch out for us two wheelers.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

Every day we take Risk. Like getting out of bed, taking a shower, driving to work, eating and etc. When your time it up it is up! It is better to enjoy life while you can instead of sitting on the sidelines and being afraid of being hurt.

Life is short try new things.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you seen a Vespa.

You can die doing the following.

Stepping out of the tub. Are you going to stop taking a bath.

Walking across the street. Even with the light on your side.

Like to sleep. that can be a problem.
According to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, 125,312 people are injured in 1 year while in or around a Bed. These injuries resulted from such Mishaps as tripping over the Bed, hurting oneself on the headboard, or simply falling out of Bed.

Don't take midnight walks.
Manfredo Settala was hit and killed by a meteorite.

Don't go out in the rain.
Once every three or four days an American dies due to being struck by lightning.

Learn how to handle the motorcycle. Take the riders course that I know you dealer will have. You will develop your riding skills. It will be fun, even thrilling.

Worry about how much chrome your gonna have to buy.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 AM
Motogo
Road Captain

It's what I live for, Like going on a amusement park ride everytime I get on mine...Just something about your body hurling cown the road at 70 miles an hour or more...and the cagers to keep it interesting.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:05 AM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

I would say to you, decide for yourself. First things first, as rrlavigne stated, you can take a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) learners course and learn, on their bikes, whether or not you are up to the challenge. From there I would find out about a rental bike to try for a day or two, to ride in an area where you feel safe and not pressured. Motorcycling to me, came naturally. It was not something that I had experienced until I was 26 years old, but from the point when I did, I knew that no matter what anyone said to me I was going to learn to ride and get my own. Six years later, I still am just as passionate about riding as I knew I would be. In the end, it's your decision and something YOU have to be comforatble with!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 AM
eliems
Cruiser

I took off with my girl one night and my best friend went out for a ride. He took the winding Marine Drive road through West Vancouver, cruisin on a warm evening, dry roads and met up with a girl on a Honda. He started showing off scooting by her and dropping back and then flew down a straight stretch and through a tight curve ... there was some water coming off the cliff and across the pavement and his back tire broke loose.

Coroners report said he broke almost every bone in his body and it still took him most of the night to die. He was 21 years old.

I carried on riding all these years with a dozen or so street bikes and as many dirt bikes but I ride with perspective, watching for every potential danger. The dog on the lawn might run out, what is behind that van, will the lady stay at the stop sign, is that water on the road and... I don't ride on bald tires!

Quick Reply: Cycle = Risk