General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle = Risk

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Cycle = Risk

Making it basically the smallest vehicle on the road. Im scared if I buy one of these im going to be so paranoid of getting hit I wouldnt even enjoy it. I live in the country so I would really enjoy riding it on the back country roads but I cant imagine being on one in city traffic. I mean lets say your behind a car and he just slams on the brakes, you do the same, but the car behind you has a little delay(BAM!) I cant even imagine or want to. Specially it being a Semi with a fully loaded trailer behind him weighing at 40,000 lbs plus. I guess what im wanted to know is what are yall guys thinking and what kinda stuff do yall look out for when in heavy traffic and such?

Your questions: I drive in heavy traffic every day. You double the distance you would do in your car between you and the car in front of you, AND you watch the cars beside you, do your best to have them see you, and always know your openings. I've found most people won't pull in front of me, and they stay farther behind me. If they don't, I move faster or away.
Have an opening (like between cars) when there's any chance the car behind you may hit you.
When you're automatic with controls, shifting, and watching out for debris, you're ready for heavier traffic.
Like others who don't like to ride in the rain, stay in your confidence zone.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gman...it aint for you

Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've used up 6 of my 9 lives.............2 on motorcycles........got 3 left When I get down to #8......I'm gettin a gold wing.

Oh yeah........BTW.....we are all going to die......it's part of life. I'm afraid to die alone in a nursing home.......way more afraid of that than accidents.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gman697

Sounds like a couple of yall have already given up on me lol. Its something I really do want to try. I have a couple of friends that have Soft tails and they go to Mrytle Beach, SC and cruise sometimes. Yea im a little paranoid but thats really because I have no experience on a bike whatsoever so my mind is just going in different directions. I know myself pretty well and if I get on that bike and cruise enough to get used to it I know it will ease my mind a lot. When your riding and enjoy it, you dont have time to be paranoid. Damnit, im going to try it either way. So if I cant take the heat ill just sell it. Yea I might waste some money but oh well. Cant say I didnt try.

It's just a matter of becoming accustomed. You gotta walk before ya can run. Once you get used to a bike and your relation to surrounding traffic, you will feel more comfortable. I'll tell you something. When I'm riding my bike, I'm paying much closer attention than I do when driving my car. Not that I'm a bad driver or anything, but you just do everything better and more skillfully. You cannot relax on a bike the way you would in a car, but somehow the trip is still more enjoyable. I just went for a quick 90 minute ride this evening when I got home from work. Just needed to unwind. Well I'm dodging all these stuipid cagers doing the stuipid things we expect them to do and you know what? I kept at a safe distance and did all the right things as if it were second nature. Totally enjoyed the ride. That's what I mean about getting accustomed. Realizing that you're more vulnerable to someone else's carelessness just makes you more responsible.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:21 AM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And on the Wing you'll have an air bag giving you a second chance at #9 Unless the built in coffer maker dosen't scald you to death.

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I've used up 6 of my 9 lives.............2 on motorcycles........got 3 left When I get down to #8......I'm gettin a gold wing.

Oh yeah........BTW.....we are all going to die......it's part of life. I'm afraid to die alone in a nursing home.......way more afraid of that than accidents.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:25 AM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy never rode more than an ATV and he took the course. Learned on a 250 and ordered a 2004 Raod King. He sat on it and said OMG what have I done. He put 15000 kilometers on it the first year and gets along just fine. Take a course and stay out of the city until you have your legs.
Enjoy.