General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle = Risk

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cycle = Risk

There is nothing wrong with being a little Paranoid when riding, it will keep you in check with whats going on around you!

If you want one Get It. take a MC course and enjoy!!!!

Ride Safe!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Bigfoot
Tourer

As MANY others have advised - TAKE THE COURSE! It will give you confidence and a whole new perspective on riding.

You can ride smart, safe, and pretty much incident free - but it takes effort on your part. The payback is WELL WORTH the effort!

Riding is unlike anything else.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:13 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Like others have said, take the MSF class. I would think the larger Harleys would not be a good choice for a first bike. The sporty 883 would be better. You could ride it for 6 months and trade up after that and not lose much. I think fear is a good thing to have on a bike. Let me rephrase that controlled fear is a good thing. You must know that you can die on the bike. You have a greater chance of dieing on the bike in a crash vs. being in a car. No brainer. Respect the bike and know it can hurt you will go a long way in keeping you up. Hot ******* it while a newbie is a good way to end your ridding career. Also ride as though the cagers are squirrels, unpredictable by nature and will not try to avoid you. No cager is your friend on the road, only obstacles to pass and put behind you. Watch out for yourself because no cager will. There are numerous books that deal with safety. Get the ones from MSF, Keith Code's book "A twist of the wrist" is good also. Learn everything you can about safety. With knowledge your paranoia will subside. I was just like you when I started out. I was scared sh*tless when I first got on a bike. 22 yrs old and almost hit a car head on because I couldn't control the bike. It was only a 600cc Seca II but still enough to get my newbie a$$ in deep sh*t. My guardian angle that day saved my a$$ but that first encounter instilled a healthy dose of respect for the bike and the damage it could do for me. Despite my first "ride" the desire to ride overwhelmed the fear. I rode at night only for years after that. Never would go into any big cities during the day. Only in the last few years have I developed the skill and courage to drive in big cities. Now I would go into down town Houston during rush hour if I had to. But that took years and years to evolve to that level. Riding a bike safely takes a lot of practice, study time, and years of experience to gain. Once you do the paranoia will go away, but you will always have the respect for the bike. During the years of development you will still enjoy riding and getting out in nature. You get to experience the country side first hand, smell the flowers in the field as you pass by, smell the bacon cooking while on the road, see everything in HDTV format so to speak. It is much better than being stuck in a cage. You will get to the point that when you have to take the cage anywhere you will be a little depressed. Not as much fun. I know you will love ridding when you get into just take your time and enjoy the ride.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:40 PM
fmudge
Cruiser

Paranoid is good. I am new to riding motorcycles. Last year, the wife and I were rear ended by a drunk in a cage. We were in my Chevy Avalanche after we rolled twice and slid into a tree. I had the joy of spending four days in the hopsital putting my left arm back together from where it went through the window. Seat belts saved our lives. Fortunately, I had excellent doctors. For the next few months I didn't want to drive and had not even thought about motorcycles. We actually sold our two seater convertible because it was too small. I finally decided to get over my fear and enjoy living. Riding is very liberating and conquering your fears even more so. Lots of good advice in the posts above; most I have already taken and would encourage the same. Ride, enjoy and most of all be safe. If it's your time, nothing is going to change it.

04 Fattie

Old 06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
gman697
6th Gear

wow fmudge, glad your alright. I bet its a wierd and scary feeling turning over in a vehicle like that. I tried calling my local MSF at the community college but she didnt answer, me and a friend are going to take the course together. Guess ill try again tomm. Im ready! Thanks for all the advice guys.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: fmudge

I finally decided to get over my fear and enjoy living. Riding is very liberating and conquering your fears even more so. Lots of good advice in the posts above; most I have already taken and would encourage the same. Ride, enjoy and most of all be safe. If it's your time, nothing is going to change it.

04 Fattie

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
RedLine
Advanced

ORIGINAL: gman697

wow fmudge, glad your alright. I bet its a wierd and scary feeling turning over in a vehicle like that. I tried calling my local MSF at the community college but she didnt answer, me and a friend are going to take the course together. Guess ill try again tomm. Im ready! Thanks for all the advice guys.
Wow, that is how it is done! Ask for advice, get advice, follow the advice

You will get a lot out of the MSF course, enjoy!

RedLine

Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey Gman...welcome to the forum! I have been riding since Nov...took the MSF safety class (Great!)...practiced in high school parking lots...watched Learn to Ride the Easy Way by Motorman...and drove my neighbors crazy going up and down the street over and over and over....lol. I am a 30 yr female and felt the same as you did, but had a higher craving for riding....yes there are risk, but I have learned and will continue to learn as much as possible all the different ways to avoid danger. It took me a while to get out and venture....riding with friends helped me alot and joining the local Harley chapter. For the first month I only cruised up and down three streets...haha...and I did take baby steps...Take your time, and NEVER fall into peer pressure....stay at your own pace!!! I will always be cautious and on the look out...and you know, that's a good way to be...defensive riding is safe riding!!!!
Just remember, take baby steps...and practice!!!! Also, I took the class with friend so she is my riding buddy... OH and another thing...buy the bike you want the first time!!! I went through 3 bikes in less than a year....$$$...lol Thought a 750cc was a good size..then a 1100cc...wrong!!~~>1450cc...just right!
Be Safe!!
Candace

Old 06-15-2006, 07:54 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjmilez

Hey Gman...welcome to the forum! I have been riding since Nov...took the MSF safety class (Great!)...practiced in high school parking lots...watched Learn to Ride the Easy Way by Motorman...and drove my neighbors crazy going up and down the street over and over and over....lol. I am a 30 yr female and felt the same as you did, but had a higher craving for riding....yes there are risk, but I have learned and will continue to learn as much as possible all the different ways to avoid danger. It took me a while to get out and venture....riding with friends helped me alot and joining the local Harley chapter. For the first month I only cruised up and down three streets...haha...and I did take baby steps...Take your time, and NEVER fall into peer pressure....stay at your own pace!!! I will always be cautious and on the look out...and you know, that's a good way to be...defensive riding is safe riding!!!!
Just remember, take baby steps...and practice!!!! Also, I took the class with friend so she is my riding buddy... OH and another thing...buy the bike you want the first time!!! I went through 3 bikes in less than a year....$$$...lol Thought a 750cc was a good size..then a 1100cc...wrong!!~~>1450cc...just right!
Be Safe!!
Candace
Not a good sugestion. To start off with a 800lb bike is not a smart thing to do. You did the right thing starting off with a 750 and moving up. It is much easier to learn how to control a bike with a smaller one vs a huge one. I would rather waste a little money on upgrading in a year than lose more money by being out of work due to a crash from me not being able to control a bike. Besides, didn't you have lots of fun upgrading? [sm=happy046.gif]. I know I would.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:05 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually my Softail handles much better than the Honda 750 and Yamaha 1100... And it sits much lower so now, I actually feel much comfortable!! As far as weight goes..yea, the HD weighs 700lbs, but its not me trying to hold it up~~>it's balancing... I am only 130lbs.. and maneuving my bike is VERY comfortable.

Quick Reply: Cycle = Risk