General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle = Risk

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cycle = Risk

The sheer joy I've always gotten from riding is enough to justify the risk. The risk is lessened by good riding skills and awareness of your situation. The techniques for riding and driving are completely different. About the only thing they have in common is the road itself. When you get that bike leaned down tight into the corner, and the pegs are scraping in protest, and the motor is singing as you crack the throttle and roll off a perfect apex, it's like flying. Then you'll understand!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 AM
gman697
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a couple of yall have already given up on me lol. Its something I really do want to try. I have a couple of friends that have Soft tails and they go to Mrytle Beach, SC and cruise sometimes. Yea im a little paranoid but thats really because I have no experience on a bike whatsoever so my mind is just going in different directions. I know myself pretty well and if I get on that bike and cruise enough to get used to it I know it will ease my mind a lot. When your riding and enjoy it, you dont have time to be paranoid. Damnit, im going to try it either way. So if I cant take the heat ill just sell it. Yea I might waste some money but oh well. Cant say I didnt try.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the course.
Buy the bike after the course.

Then you will know and you will have some knowledge of how to get out of sticky situations. It's not expensive, and very worth it.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gman697

Sounds like a couple of yall have already given up on me lol. Its something I really do want to try. I have a couple of friends that have Soft tails and they go to Mrytle Beach, SC and cruise sometimes. Yea im a little paranoid but thats really because I have no experience on a bike whatsoever so my mind is just going in different directions. I know myself pretty well and if I get on that bike and cruise enough to get used to it I know it will ease my mind a lot. When your riding and enjoy it, you dont have time to be paranoid. Damnit, im going to try it either way. So if I cant take the heat ill just sell it. Yea I might waste some money but oh well. Cant say I didnt try.
definitely take the MSF course!!! You'll get a great perspective and be able to make a better decision on whether or not to ride. And if you do get a bike, you'll be a better rider.

Wally

Old 06-15-2006, 02:34 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rhurbarb

Take the course.
Buy the bike after the course.

Then you will know and you will have some knowledge of how to get out of sticky situations. It's not expensive, and very worth it.

ORIGINAL: wild wally

definitely take the MSF course!!! You'll get a great perspective and be able to make a better decision on whether or not to ride. And if you do get a bike, you'll be a better rider.

Wally
This is some of the best advice given. You will enjoy the course and meet some good people.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Good for you dude, but do take the motorcycle training coarse .It will help someone that hasn`t rode a bike before ! Good Luck

Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a dirt bike for years and bought a street bike about 15 or so years ago. I never got comfortable on it and sold it pretty quickly.

Last year, I decided I wanted to ride again. I bought the bike, took the MSF course and then picked up the bike. At first, I was a little apprehensive, but 8 1/2 months and 10,000 miles later, it's no problem. I've ridden about 1,300 miles in the last 2 weeks. I ride every day that I can, except in rainy weather. I don't have the gear for that yet....

Old 06-15-2006, 01:10 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

There are risks in city cycling. There are risks in everyday activities. I would first suggest an MSF class. That teaches saftey, proper technique, where to put you head and eyes, and how to ride safe. I ride in the DFW metroplex all the time. There are drivers who simply don't see you. But you defensively ride. You learn why drivers don't see you and you start riding different to avoid situations. I can't wait to ride in the country. Because, often times you won't see another car for miles and miles. You can relax a little bit. But my Bro lives in the country, and he would never take his ride into the city. Simply not comfortable. So you know what? He doesn't. no biggie. Ride where you are safe, practice, practice, practice, and enjoy your rides.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just take it slow and easy. Start off by riding in parking lots and practicing everything you learned in your MSF class. Here is how it worked for my wife who had never ridden a bike and was scared. She clocked 32 miles just going around the block learning/getting used to her bike. Then we hit the back roads. When she was comfortable with that we would ride to the outskirts of the city and slowly work our way farther in. Now that she is comfortable with that we are working on riding on the interstate. On one ramp and exit 2 down. We will start making it longer and longer as time goes on.

Another good thing to do is to ride behind another biker you trust. You can learn alot by paying attention to why they are slowing, moving over to the inside/outside of the lane..etc.

Being paranoid on a bike is no good at all. The more miles you get under you the better you will feel on the bike. You will be posting an update in about a month telling everyone your fears were overblown.

Last but not least..stop reading the "I almost bought the farm" threads.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Actually, you are one up on a lot of new riders. At least you fear what might happen. There are lots of younger crotch rocket riders who have no fear, and I read about them in the obituaries all the time. It is OK to be concerned about your safety, it tends to make you a lot more careful. It is when you get comfortable and lose your fear and respect that you start getting dangerous.

Quick Reply: Cycle = Risk