General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shredding tractor trailer tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Shredding tractor trailer tires

Driving the truck this past weekend on the interstate and a semi blew a tire just in front of me. He was in the right lane and I was in the left lane about to pass him. A 6 to 7 foot long piece of rubber flew in to my lane and there was no way to avoid it. I ran over it with the truck as well as the trailer I was pulling. No damage sustained but the trailer bounced up in the air and started swaying. Anyway... this got me to thinking about this happening while riding the RK. I don't know if I could have kept it upright. I'v dodged many of these pieces in tha past as there was always enough time to react. Anyone ever have to ride over one of these large pieces while on their bike? If so, what kind of results did you have?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,119 Likes on 357 Posts

a buddy of mine had it happen. caught a hunk of rubber, it put him in a ditch where he stayed for a few hours 'till someone found him. He got bruised up pretty good, but came out of it ok I guess.

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with it (knock on wood), I guess ya just gotta react....if ya can.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,397 Posts

That's a scary thing to think about but you have to expect it and be prepared for it at all times.

I have not hit one but I know a guy that has and it was not good.

He was running between 70 and 75 on an Ultra with the cruise on. He saw it just in time to brace and the front tire went right over it but the rear tire lost traction and rode the rubber side ways and he lost it. He almost lost his right leg also but he is riding again today. He said that if he had not been running the cruise he thinks he could have made it over okay but know one will ever know for sure. It just happened too fast for him to do anything but tighten his grip.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, truck tire shreds are crazy dangerous...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily I haven't had this happen to me on the scoot . It has in the truck though. Took out my right front fender,hood,grille and bumper. Rubber might be soft but it sure packs a punch when travelling at 60 mph

Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What gets me is when they blow a tire AND ITS COMING APART ,THEY KNOW IT AND KEEP DRIVING ?... me being me if im in my cage ill try and make em get off the road.. Thats just dangerous and pretty damn stupid.. Ive never had one blow while i was on the bike but i had one go off right next to me riding shotgun in a pickup that sounded like a bomb when it blew and man did it ever.. It was on a cement truck! He amost lost it..

Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Reminds of a story about a cop who was in high speed pursuit and ran over a tire casing. His fellow officers presented him his service revolver while he was recovering in the hospital. It had half of the cylinder ground off.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mythbusters did a thing on this. It clear snapped the head right off there manaquin

Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
PGlover
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a guy towing a trailer just about a month ago. I pulled out into the left lane to pass and noticed my wife swerve abruptly, when I looked again, they guy has blown 2 tires on his right side... not nearly as bad, but my wife was dodging rubber for a bit.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Last week commuting to work on the bike a truck about 10 cars up from me lost a tire, pieces of tire were everywhere and you could smell the rubber burning. I was dodging the pieces like an obstacle course and luckily didn't hit any. All I could think is what if I were a few seconds further ahead. Scary chit.

Quick Reply: Shredding tractor trailer tires