General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shredding tractor trailer tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Yep, them dam retreads are to blame. I know their not suppose to run them on the steering axles of a big rig, don't know about the driving wheels, most are on the trailer. Dam things need to be outlawed. Can't imagine the damage one would do if it hit a bike. I to get the heck on around them and not lollygag around the back of the trailer. Think about one coming off, almost everytime I go to pass one.

joe
I drive a single axle flatbed and pull a 20 ft long X 12 ft wide trailer with an agricultual tractor and had a drive axle retread blow on me once in 13 years, Knock on wood!
When it blew it scared the crap outta me, the whole back of the truck jumped up.
I didnt have anywhere to pull off so I continued on but I greatly reduced my speed and kept an eye on it till I could get off the road.
It would be nice if all truckers would do this but most of them are so pushed for time they keep hammering on.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
ctbird53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
saw one on the inter-state last summer. It was a full tire peeled open. A huge obstacle. I swerved around it no problem. But, made me think if a person hit that sucker it would be bad, very bad. I don't think you'd be able to keep control of a bike.

Isn't there a law about that sort of thing? Surly the trucker knew his tire blew off, he shouldn't be allowed to leave it laying in the middle of the lane.
Very possible the driver did not know he blew a tire especialy if it happened at night. They dont all blow with a load explosion...I also wonder how many of the people who had their vehicle or themselve hurt were tailgating the truck ? Happens to me all the time. Just because its a truck doesnt give you the right to be right on his a$$

Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
ctbird53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcox
1) If the tire doesn't "blow", you most likely don't know it came off unless it slaps on the body or the fender long enough to catch your attention which isn't always the case. Often you don't know until you get out and notice it.

2) The driver can't always get the truck off the road right away safely, and I would not hike back however many thousands of feet or even miles, to run into the middle of the road with traffic going faster than the speed of light to kick a piece of tire off the road, NO WAY.

If you keep enough following distance you will be able to react to a piece of tire laying in the road. Just my opinion
# 1. The driver gets killed picking rubber up off the highway