General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated hand grips

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated hand grips

I am looking for a little more comfort during my winter commuting this year. With that in mind, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has a set of "Genuine H-D" heated hand grips fitted. I know there are several style variations, but they all look to be the same technology.

Do they work? Are they easy to fit? Do they kill the battery? Are they robust enough to last a few years?

Your (constructive) advice and views would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Several threads on tjis subject have lead me to believe that they are not worth the money. Far too many have stated that thjey quit working after a short time.

I went another direction, by installing the handwarmers from http://www.motorcyclehotseat.com/

they install inside your bars, and make any grip a heated grip. I installed them in the wifes Deluxe, 3 years ago and still no problems today. Only thing I did different, was that I wired them to the HD auxillary switch housing because I didn't like the way thast the switch they sent me looked on the deluxe. Would have worked fine on the Ultra...but the Deluxe has no good place to mount it.

Best 50.00 I have spent on her bike..

Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had mine for almost three years now and love them. They can be used anytime you want unlike the plug in gloves. I use them in the rain, or in the mountains when it gets cold in the mornings. A great investment!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
brassknuckletherapy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have some friends that have had them a couple of years now. easy to install ajustable setting as far as im concerned they are a good buy.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 221 Posts

I had them dealer installed on my 2004 FXDX when I bought it new and they worked faultlessly. I enjoyed them so much that when I ordered my FLHT I had them add them in the deal.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
conroskie
Road Master

I put Heat Demons in mine, they go inside the bars. I recommend them.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wondering, it seams that these would warm the palms of your hands wile the backs froze, so do they make your whole hand feel warm?
Thanks
Terry

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 221 Posts

Terry, to an extent you're right regarding the grips warming your palms instead of the back of your hands. But here's my take on their usefulness. When you start getting even slightly chilled, for instance riding in the rain when it's cool, your body starts reducing blood flow to your extremities. Holding on to something warm seems to reverse this and you actually feel warmer all over, not just your hands.
BMW has been offering heated grips for years and some models even come standard with them. I first had them over 20 years ago on a BMW. I'll put it this way, heated grips certainly aren't a necessity and if you've never had them you won't miss having them. But once you get used to them you'll be spoiled.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD grips I have had them go bad three times last year. Harley dealership told me I can not use my bike in the rain if I use heated hand grips. I now use heated gloves much better.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by cadman311
HD grips I have had them go bad three times last year. Harley dealership told me I can not use my bike in the rain if I use heated hand grips. I now use heated gloves much better.

+1

I had mine for 1-1/2 years before they crapped out. Of course HD would not warranty them even though they know they have had problems. I do ride in the rain so maybe that played a part. I now use heated gloves and would never go back to the grips.

Quick Reply: Heated hand grips