General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated hand grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwrick
I have a 2009 FLHX, had the grips installed when I bought the bike, loved them. I've had to replace 3 times since, the dealer says they never last, I'll keep changing them since they are under warranty, but what a pain in the a$$! Love them, but why can't Harley do it right?

Same here. I am on set #4 in 4 years, 50 k, no rain.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simon, my police motor unit had the HD heated grips installed in our fleet of 28 '08 FLHTP's. I can unequivocally state that the HD heated grips are overpriced, poor quality and perform maginally AT BEST.

Many of the grips on our police bikes failed entirely or functioned erractically. Some only provided a little heat, some had the entire grip slide off. Of course HD told us that, except for total failure, everything else was "within design parameters"-In other words go pound salt!
I'm looking into a set of Heat Demons for my Ultra. A lot less $$ than the HD grips, and a lot of HDF members seem to like them.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW-Heated grips work best at low temperatures when used in combination with Hippohands or a similar product that shields your hands from the wind. Our guys will ride with light gloves on in frigid conditions (when the damned HD grips are working properly, that is!).

Without the Hippohands even the best heat grips can't overcome wind blastand that includes fairing bikes. The Hippohands have the added benefit of keeping your hands dry.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

Can the Heat Demons or other heat devices be used with internally wired handlebars?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Screw the overpriced HD grips -get a set of Symtec Grip heater kits/ mine cost $30 and work good. I commutted in any weather above 38 deg. and they did the job. IMHO good heated gloves are better but when ya get caught in the rain on a 75 deg day you'll be turning them on, espically if you have old tired hands like me. These are heat grids that glue under the hand grips. All switch and connectors are included.
I know murphkits.com has the best price usually

Old 04-07-2012, 03:21 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
BTW-Heated grips work best at low temperatures when used in combination with Hippohands or a similar product that shields your hands from the wind. Our guys will ride with light gloves on in frigid conditions (when the damned HD grips are working properly, that is!).

Without the Hippohands even the best heat grips can't overcome wind blastand that includes fairing bikes. The Hippohands have the added benefit of keeping your hands dry.
The problem with Hippo Hands or similar is you need dirt bike type hand guards installed first to hold them off the levers. Happy with my heated gloves, they heat the fingers and back of the hand, the parts that get cold. I also have heated grips, they're great at in between temps (above 50F) but not near as comfortable in colder temps as heated gloves

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-07-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I have them on both my bikes. When it gets very cold, below 30 degrees, their effectiveness is minimal - my bikes don't have fairings to protect the hands. I purchased heated gloves They will literally burn the skin off my hands so I also purchased the temperature regulator. So I use both depending on the outside temperature.
+1 on everything you said except, at my age my hands get cold very easily so I find the effectiveness of my heated grips to me minimal under about 40 degrees. I've had mine for 6 years and they continue to work well. After riding into Yellowstone last year at 29 degrees, I decided to invest in Gerbing heated gloves. Someone should design a glove with a conductor inside that will pick up the heat in the palm of your gloves and transmit it around the fingers.