General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Chicago Harley

Had a bit of a disappointing experience with these guys. Ordered a windshield from them on May 30th and finally called today about the status of my order. It took me all morning to get someone on the horn. Anyway they only ship to the billing address of the credit card used and it turns out that if your card is billed to a PO Box there's a particular guy that handles it due to the shipping via the Postal Service. When I finally got George on the phone (the PO box guy) he tells me he hasn't even processed or ordered my items yet [:@] He went on to tell me that he has some 100 orders on hand and that he does international transactions and POB's. Of course I wasn't too happy about this. George is a really nice guy and all but I felt they should've let me know that this will take longer.

Anyway, I just want to know if any of you have dealt with them and how your experience was? They seemed like a friendly bunch on the phone and their prices are the best. Trying to figure out if I will do business with them in the future.

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chicago Harley

I have bought quite a few items from them with no problem. I have them shipped to my billing address. I had one item that took about three weeks. I called them and they told me it was on back order from HD and gave me an expected ship date. Recieved an email telling me it was in and I had the item in three days.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Bluerose

I ordered a seat rail from them...they were very patient when I called and verified with them that it was exactly the one I wanted. Said it wasn't in stock and might be 2 weeks for shipping. Had no probs from there. (Shipped to billing address).

Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive ordered from them once. No problem. [8D]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I live a few miles from them, so shipping isn't an issue. They are nice peeps and do try their best, but they have to be careful when shipping to differnt billing addresses I'm sure. Still I have to imagine it's frustrating to find out they didn't place your order yet. You might want to call them and order on the phone in the future to avoid the added wait.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really did get the impression that these are great people. Hope my post wasn't taken as a bash. I was simply disappointed to find out that nothing had happened with my order after two weeks. Like I said they left a good impression over the phone and I was just curious about what others have experienced while dealing with them. Maybe the PO Box thing is simply a flaw in their system they should look at.

ORIGINAL: Mrkicks

I live a few miles from them, so shipping isn't an issue. They are nice peeps and do try their best, but they have to be careful when shipping to differnt billing addresses I'm sure. Still I have to imagine it's frustrating to find out they didn't place your order yet. You might want to call them and order on the phone in the future to avoid the added wait.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had to wait over a month for a pager receiver that I ordered, finally got the email that it
was on the way and I am supposed to get it Friday.

Surdyke I have had mixed results, seat sissy bar got within a two week period, mounting hardware,
and bracket for the sissy bar, back ordered. Called Red River, had them in stock.
Cancelled my order and got one with Red River!

I guess it depends on what parts you order, but I ahve to say, both Surdyke, and Chicago are both
very nice and quick to get back to me on questions. So I won't be afraid to try and order other
things from them.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The people at Chicago HD are extremely nice. I had some questions about fitting a SE AC backplate on my '06 and they put a tech on the phone. He gave me good info. Anyhow, I've placed three orders with them. One order never showed up. This was back in October. I called them in November and they said they'd sent the parts out that day. December came and no parts. I called again, they were very apologetic, real nice people, and they promised they'd send the parts out that day. Well, it is now summer and I never got the parts. So now I only use Zanottis or Hales. Hales has the fastest shipping ever. I ordered a SERT on Monday at 2pm and it was on my doorstep Tuesday at 11am. Zanottis is also very good.. never had an order take longer than a week, even if they didn't have it in stock. I just got an email from them that a new seat I ordered will be here tomorrow.

I think the folks at Chicago HD are over loaded with internet orders and there is maybe a 20% chance that your order will just get lost in the shuffle. I heard they've moved into a bigger building, so I hope they'll update the system and hire some more employees. Like I said, extremely nice people.... they just seem over loaded.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've bought tons of stuff from them. Some shipped to billing address and some I pick up at the dealer. Always have had great service and quick turn-around on orders. Occasionally an item will be on back-order, which they have no control over. I tried to have items shipped to an address outside Illinois once (to avoid sales tax on a large order) and they couldn't do it because my billing address was in Illinois.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My one experience with them wasn't a great one. I was comparing prices on a passenger pillion and backrest between them and Zanotti's. Zanotti's was cheaper but the CHD site stated the items were in stock so I placed the order with them. I got an email immediatly that the order was recieved but no info about shipping. After a week I called them and found out that they hadn't even processed my order yet and that in fact the parts were not in stock and that they would have to order them. That pissed me off but I let it go and told him to go ahead and place the order.

After 6 weeks I called again and found out that my parts had been delivered to them 2 weeks earlier but not shipped out to me yet. They told me they would process the order that day and get them out to me asap. I didn't get the shipment delivered to me for another 5 days afterwards.

They do seem like nice people but they do not have a system in place to handle order processing efficiently.

Rick

Quick Reply: Chicago Harley