General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me one good reason why no valid license

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Give me one good reason why no valid license

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

I will go done and retake the test to get my endorsement again, that much is very true. What ticks me off is having to pay $20-$35 every couple of years to renew it.
This whole reasoning is kind of flawed. We pay 40$ to register the bike every year...do we not register? We pay $.17 on a gallon for gas, do we not use gas? We pay $12 bucks a year for inspections....do we not do that?

I can understand the anger of paying taxes, but to simply not get a license becasue it costs $25 every few years is not right. Follow the law and try to change it by passing laws, not by boycotting a legal requirement.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

Here in Illinois they pay for the MSF course. Also the testing is free. And you pay no extra for the Motorcycle endorsement. No reason not to have it here.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

My brother is 43 years old and has never had a drivers liscence. Has had about 15 cars, and tons of bikes, has insuranse, and has had accidents. They have always paid out. One ticket in 25 years for no paper.

I know it sounds crazy, but he hates regulations, and will not get his. Never.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

odd to hear a motorcycle permit is not an endorsement on the standard drivers license in some states. i have had my endorsement since 1968 when it became a requirement in missouri, that transferred to arkansas when i moved there, then back to missouri and now it transferred to alabama along with a vessel operators license required to operate motorized watercraft of any size in bama.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 PM
jsd245
Advanced

ORIGINAL: jt1965

Here in Illinois they pay for the MSF course. Also the testing is free. And you pay no extra for the Motorcycle endorsement. No reason not to have it here.
Man- that's a pretty good deal. In CT I had to pay a fee for the written test, pay for my permit, then pay $115 for the MSF course. I might have left something out, I lose track of all the checks I have to write when I go to the DMV. Another one that burns me is the "vin check". A local Garage will do it for free, but the DMV still charges you 10 bucks for it when you register your vehicle.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
jt1965
Road Captain

The License plate fee (Registration) is $38 Per year for the bike they give you a new sticker for your plate. But the drivers license is good for 4 years and it is $20 renewal fee.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: millzog

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

There is no reason.......plus....no license......you are automatically at fault in ANY accident in many states and Mr. Insurance Man doesn't have to pay for your damage and is not liable for your brand new lawsuit either......because since you are unlicensed you are considered LEGALLY unqualified to ride!! plus it states clearly in his contract and your state motor vehicle laws that ALL this stuff applies ONLY to licensed operators.........all others fall into the lazy, stupid, arrogant stupid, stupid arrogant, arrogant arrogant, stupid stupid, moronic GUILTY category.

Other than that........who knows[sm=confused06.gif]
In Arizona before you can purchase a bike you have to show proof of insurance and a valid motorcycle license. Thats the way it should be.[sm=exactly.gif]
Yup! Also I haven't had to renew my license in years. It expires in 2025. I hope I still have my teeth then.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eazy

Even if I didn't own a bike at the time, I would renew. The additional costs are not worth the additional risks if I one day decide to take a spin on my Brother's scoot.
I kept my MC endorsement active on my drivers license for years and didn't have a bike. I was changing the info on the lic once and the guy behind the counter asked it I had a bike. At the time I did not so he asked if I still wanted the endorement. "Hell yeah! I had to take that dang test twice to pass it and sweated bullets. You betcha I'm keeping it. " says I.

I felt sorry for him after that, I got him to stammering.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:28 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

In Alabama, you can get a motorcycle permit by taking a written test at age 14.
Full motorcycle licenses and car permit (again a written test) at age 15.
Then at age 16 you take a written test then a practical in a car. If you pass this you are licenses to drive or ride anything up to a 2.5 ton truck. So if you can drive you can ride.
Result many people in this state are killed every year because of they are not educated in motorcycle safety.
This will increase this year because the gas prices are causing many to go to motorcycles.
I got my drivers licenses at 16 then that fall took a pratical test to be a substitute school bus driver three weeks later I was driving 70 kids back and forth to school every day.
At the time I was bullet proof with no idea of the responsibilities that I had signed on to. I won't even let my kids ride a school bus.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06ALULTRA

In Alabama, you can get a motorcycle permit by taking a written test at age 14.
Full motorcycle licenses and car permit (again a written test) at age 15.
Then at age 16 you take a written test then a practical in a car. If you pass this you are licenses to drive or ride anything up to a 2.5 ton truck. So if you can drive you can ride.
Result many people in this state are killed every year because of they are not educated in motorcycle safety.
This will increase this year because the gas prices are causing many to go to motorcycles.
I got my drivers licenses at 16 then that fall took a pratical test to be a substitute school bus driver three weeks later I was driving 70 kids back and forth to school every day.
At the time I was bullet proof with no idea of the responsibilities that I had signed on to. I won't even let my kids ride a school bus.
From the Alabama DMV handbook. You need a seperate endorsement for Motorcycle even when you have a regular license.

Link to dmv page

Motorcycle License - Sixteen years old and older – Any
person 16 years of age or older may obtain a license to operate a motorcycle.
A motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for
the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels
in contact with the ground but excluding a tractor. The examination for this
license is taken from the Alabama Motorcycle Manual. Upon passing the
Al a b ama De pa r tment o f Pu b l i c S a f e t y Dr i v e r Manua l 11
required examination, the applicant will be issued a Class M Alabama driver
license. Class M indicates that the holder may operate a motorcycle only.
The license is valid for four years.
In addition to the above licenses, the Director of Public Safety has the
authority to impose restrictions on your driver license when it appears that
these restrictions are necessary for you to operate a motor vehicle safely.
A common restriction is the requirement of wearing corrective lenses
while driving. Another is the use of mechanical devices that aid physically
impaired persons. Operation of a motor vehicle in violation of restrictions
may result in the loss of your license.

Quick Reply: Give me one good reason why no valid license