General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me one good reason why no valid license

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Give me one good reason why no valid license

It is kinda depressing sometimes, ain't it, Blue?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=popcorn.gif]

other than a "well said" to Bluerose.....

.... I'll just keep my .02 to myself on this one.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:53 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Of all the posts, no one mentioned that licensing is the extension of a privelege to drive a vehicle on public roads. Since the key word here is public, meaning belonging to all of us, it follows that the public has the right to determine who uses the public road, and this is done through licensing. A test, written or demonstrated, determines if an individual is adequately prepared to exercise the privelege of driving.

Just as you wouldn't want a 18 year old kid driving an 18 wheeler, or a set of triple trailers without some training, you also wouldn't want an untrained rider to straddle a large heavy road bike, or a crotch rocket with no knowledge of the rules of operation. Although some of us have ridden successfully for a lot of years without a license to ride doesn't excuse us from the public's right to know if you are indeed qualified.

I am a retired commercial bus driver. I had to go through a lot of training before my license was granted to me. Can you imagine what chaos might erupt with an untrained, untested, un licensede driver working a 45' bus through congested traffic with 50 souls on board?

I got my first endorsement when the State of California began requiring them in the late 60's. I am proud to say I have maintained that endorsement ever since.

[8D]

Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I don't understand how you can register a motorcycle if you're not a licenced driver. I don't think you could pull that off in NH or MA. Also the cost in NH or MA isn't that bad.

If you get pulled over by the cops in NH or MA and aren't licenced I THINK ... THINK they can arrest you and tow your bike. (I could be wrong but i THINK I'm right) Also the local dealerships won't even let you take a bike off the showroom floor unless it's registered and if you finance the bike it has to be insured to the hilt. And an insurance CO isn't going to insure an unlicenced driver. So I have to also assume people riding without licences are also uninsured. And if they have insurance, get in an accident and their insurance CO finds out they aren't licenced the insurance will refuse to pay. I'll tell ya ... If i get in an accident with an unlicenced uninsured driver and they're at fault i'll have my lawyer go for the throat, and I'll WIN! Seems to me like a no brainer, get licenced and have good insurance. Regardless how unfair you think the system is we're all stuck with it.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

Funny how with one breath it's Hay Bro love the Freedom of riding, and with the next breath it's Follow all MY rules or I'll have your *** jailed and SUE you for every dime ya got!!!
Sounds like a bunch of future politicians !!!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Unfortunately it's a fact of life. Nobody has total freedom anyplace in the world. In the US we have more freedom than any other country BUT we have rules too. The only thing we have that's really FREE is our speach and this forum is a good example of that. Everybody thinks some rules are good and some are crap and we don't always agree which is which ... but I think we all agree we need some. For me ... I don't want kids in public schools carrying guns, I don't want drug addicts flying passenger jets, I don't want someone who's drunk performing surgery, I don't want sex offenders near my kids (or your kids) and I don't want some guy who can't even pass a driving test on the road with me. And yes ... is someone who can't pass a driving test causes me or my family injury I'll see them in court. AND SO WOULD YOU!
ORIGINAL: JBA111

Funny how with one breath it's Hay Bro love the Freedom of riding, and with the next breath it's Follow all MY rules or I'll have your *** jailed and SUE you for every dime ya got!!!
Sounds like a bunch of future politicians !!!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM
mrbearski
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

I have valid driver's license, I had a valid motorcycle permit. I got tired of paying the $$$ to renew it every time I renewed my license. It is a money making scam and nothing more.
It doesn't cost anymore to renew motorcyle license than it does to renew cager license (at least here in GA), so what's the big deal? State's gonna get your money one way or another anyway.[:@]

Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 AM
jsd245
Advanced

When I got my first bike here in CT about 15 years ago I tried to get an apointment to take the skills test at the DMV- they told me I'd have to wait until the next spring since they were all booked up. So- I never took it and consequently never got my endorsement. Never got a ticket for riding without one, and in my opinion having an endorsement doesn't neccesarily make you a better (or safer) rider. I know plenty of kids who ride their rice rockets like idiots- legally with an endorsement. I also know plenty of people who are very safe riders, with no endorsement. I never could see how riding around a few cones in a parking lot at 10 miles an hour gives you the skills you need on the road.
This time around I didn't even bother. I took the MSF course and got the waiver. I figured it paid for itself in a couple years anyhow with the discount I get on my insurance, and its one less time I needed to go to the DMV. I am now legal.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Getting a licence or taking the course doesn't make you a good driver ... you're totally right. BUT at least you have to pass SOME SORT of driving test! You wouldn't want to fly in a jet with an unlicenced pilot ... right? Well a bad driver on a motorcycle can kill you too. And again a licence doesn't make them a good driver BUT at least that had to pass a basic proficiency test.

ORIGINAL: jsd245

When I got my first bike here in CT about 15 years ago I tried to get an apointment to take the skills test at the DMV- they told me I'd have to wait until the next spring since they were all booked up. So- I never took it and consequently never got my endorsement. Never got a ticket for riding without one, and in my opinion having an endorsement doesn't neccesarily make you a better (or safer) rider. I know plenty of kids who ride their rice rockets like idiots- legally with an endorsement. I also know plenty of people who are very safe riders, with no endorsement. I never could see how riding around a few cones in a parking lot at 10 miles an hour gives you the skills you need on the road.
This time around I didn't even bother. I took the MSF course and got the waiver. I figured it paid for itself in a couple years anyhow with the discount I get on my insurance, and its one less time I needed to go to the DMV. I am now legal.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
thunderbirdblue2
Tourer

NC lets you take a written test and then ride solo without any testing... Until you decide to go for the provisional... GOOD NIGHT IRENE... Just cause you know a few "rules" doesn't make you a safe rider... I sent my daughter to the Riders Edge class before I let her on the road...

Quick Reply: Give me one good reason why no valid license