General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me one good reason why no valid license

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Give me one good reason why no valid license

It will effect you some day when you least expect it......Like when the kid on the rice rocket smashes into your car full of family members and explodes. Come to find out the guy never even had a basic learners permit that killed you.....Now that would really suck! I have only had mine Lic. for 27 years. And as for worrying about myself, that is the point! I don't want to be killed by a novice not Lic. Moron.

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Lapisblue and Kbfxdli, why do you 2 dunder heads come on here and run your flappy mouths off about some folks not haveing a lic.?? did Mommy take your keys away today?? I have had my Lic. long time, like 47 years, and I really don't care about anybody else that don't have a Lic. why should you care..you both sound like newbies to me, so YOU got a Lic. how charming..next your going to tell me you ride to?? I'm sorry, maybe try minding your own business, worry about yourself and leave the rest of the world alone[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So name calling is trying to help somebody??? right, Ok, well just don't try to help me, I don't do kids stuff very well.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lapisblue is good at rubbin folks abrasive like sometimes.. aint that right schnookems?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

ORIGINAL: eazy

Lapisblue and Kbfxdli, why do you 2 dunder heads come on here and run your flappy mouths off about some folks not haveing a lic.?? did Mommy take your keys away today?? I have had my Lic. long time, like 47 years, and I really don't care about anybody else that don't have a Lic. why should you care..you both sound like newbies to me, so YOU got a Lic. how charming..next your going to tell me you ride to?? I'm sorry, maybe try minding your own business, worry about yourself and leave the rest of the world alone[sm=biker.gif]
Maybe some people like to try to help other people in their own way. Some of us don't care how long you have had a license either.

Yeah, I guess so......I mean who cares about a drivers license anyway? So what if some guy who had 10 DUI's runs some kid down while he's drunk......no license........under suspension.....so what??? Doesn't make him a better driver? Bet he's sick of paying the renewall fee too.......Oh sorry kid........so what if your dead.......WAKE UP PEOPLE......motor vehicle laws and licensing protect US!!! At least those of us who are willing to obey the laws. JMHO.
Maybe you misunderstood my veiws

ORIGINAL: eazy

Even if I didn't own a bike at the time, I would renew. The additional costs are not worth the additional risks if I one day decide to take a spin on my Brother's scoot.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

Hi Sweetie, the hurricane has left me homebound. Hard to ride with 60 MPH head winds.....I need to get off of this computer, my eyes are blood Red. Before you know it 4 hours have passed and you're still typing away of this frickin' keyboard.....I hate these F-ing things.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:42 AM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

I got my Lic for motorbikes when the state said I had to have one, but I been rideing since 1958, so you are a newbie, LOL I just don't understand the name calling you did about anybody that don't have a lic. uncalled for..sort of like, "hey Joe can't hit a ball, don't pick him for the team" it;s called kids stuff.[sm=biker.gif]
yep. I've been riding since I was about 10 yrs old in 1966. Didn't even have to have a license in rural Cleburne County Alabama. When I was about 18, and living in neighboring Carroll County Ga, they passed a law that required a mc license. I've had one since then. Sadly, I've never had an MSF course. Somehow, I make do .

Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Bear64
Banned

for what it is really worth, I agree that everybody that rides should have a current lic., insurance and all that goes with owning and rideing a motorcycle, I just don't agree with silly name calling. sounds to me a couple other guys got their panties in a knot cause I dare to answer like I did..I just expressed my thoughts as they did, I figered what the heck, for what it is worth, My wife has a current motorcycle endorsement but she hasen't rode for over 20 yers now, and we both agreed that she needs to go and take all the courses before we let her loose on another bike..if she wants to ride again, and she got her endorsement back in 1971, [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Bluerose

I don't know how old some of you are (and some I do), but for those of you that are young....

There once was a time when the gov't fed and state were not just every way to save you from yourself and generate more revenue, Bell Helmets hadn't paid for the lobby on Helmet laws, and you didn't pay $20k for a production motorcycle. Oh yeah and every manufacturer hadn't been sued a billion times for the consumer doing something stupid.

Young men and women would pay $500 or less get a bike and take off (OK mostly used in my time). Not eveyone had to have a "brand new" bike or even a Harley...heck if it rolled and went vroom you were set. Even if you went to a dealer they did not care if you had a license or not (some did ask about insurance but not many)...and Evil Knevil was a hero.....to mimic. Oh and "Street Legal" was a relative term though it was defined.

There were no MSF classes..you learned the hard way...by riding. What was a license or even insurance?? Heck cops didn't ask for your insurance card unless you were in an accident and if you were riding without a license (unless you got caught by the same cop repeatedly) meant getting a warning to go get one. And of course there were very few helmet laws. It was a different time...and some folks still have that attitude....the people from this time are NOT dead.

My husband got a license (though he did have insurance before that) when I did, though he had been riding for years without one. He did not take the MSF course just took the riding test.

I would bet that with all the laws that have been passed in just the past 15 years or so the statistics on accidents haven't changed as much as people would like to think (Please don't ask me why my generation is scared of thier own shadows). If you account for population gain + popularity of bikes vs. # of accidents / number of deaths I'm sure you'll see that it's close to the same now as it was then with maybe a slight drop in deaths for the helmet law. (Maybe not since cell phones)

BTW....
I do not advocate riding without a license, I have never been without one while riding. I do not advocate going without insurance...again something I have never gone without. I do not advocate riding without a helmet...though I believe it is your choice.

I do advocate taking the MSF course, but honestly if I had not been on a bike before the class I may not have passed....while I learned some stuff the class I took didn't "teach" and some of the inexperienced that had not really ridden did fail. I actually learned more from the Ride like a Pro video I watched before getting on the bike [Thanks Motoman!]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Bluerose

All that said...I think I'll be bowing of of this conversation and the daily "Biker Died" stories.

I enjoy riding and it is dangerous no doubt. I enjoy driving a car and while I have a lot more metal around me it is also dangerous. If I posted evey car accident in my small 10 x 3 mile valley in one day I would be sick.

It's life...I think I'll go live it instead of dwelling about all deaths.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 AM
UncleMike
Road Master

for what it is really worth, I agree that everybody that rides should have a current lic., insurance and all that goes with owning and rideing a motorcycle, I just don't agree with silly name calling. sounds to me a couple other guys got their panties in a knot cause I dare to answer like I did..I just expressed my thoughts as they did, I figered what the heck, for what it is worth, My wife has a current motorcycle endorsement but she hasen't rode for over 20 yers now, and we both agreed that she needs to go and take all the courses before we let her loose on another bike..if she wants to ride again, and she got her endorsement back in 1971, [sm=groupwave.gif]
Bear, sometimes you just got to say WTF and let it go. A couple of guys on here have been harpen and name calling all day about the same old crap. Time for me to change the station.... Have a good night

Quick Reply: Give me one good reason why no valid license