General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 MPH Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 PM
bricknermj
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 MPH Vibration

I seem to have a sudden vibration at 70 mph in 6th gear. It also doesn't seem to pull away as well when I punch it at this speed and gear. I road 160 miles in the morning, fillled it up with gas and parked it for 9 hours. Jumped back on for the rerturn trip and noticed the difference as soon as I hit the interstate. Ifilled up with 93 octane. Think I could have got bad gas? If it wasn't really 93 octane, would the problem not surface until t a raelative low RPM in 6th. Bike is 2006 Super-Glide.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Run the tank of gas thru it, add some injector cleaner have you ever changed plugs? How many miles? Things we got to know..

Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
AU-Wing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Run the tank of gas thru it, add some injector cleaner have you ever changed plugs? How many miles? Things we got to know..
+1

Run some Seafoam through it with the new tank of fuel.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
bricknermj
Stage IV

8,328 miles. I pulled the plugs (original). They look OK - good color, electrodes not worn.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bricknermj
I seem to have a sudden vibration at 70 mph in 6th gear. It also doesn't seem to pull away as well when I punch it at this speed and gear. I road 160 miles in the morning, fillled it up with gas and parked it for 9 hours. Jumped back on for the rerturn trip and noticed the difference as soon as I hit the interstate. Ifilled up with 93 octane. Think I could have got bad gas? If it wasn't really 93 octane, would the problem not surface until t a raelative low RPM in 6th. Bike is 2006 Super-Glide.
Check tire psi, check fall away. check nut holding hand-bars.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of vibration? Is it a wheel or engine type?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
bricknermj
Stage IV

I think it is engine.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

If it's engine related it will be present at all gears at the same RPM range, it will have nothing to do with mph. If it's tire or wheel related it will be at high speeds, usually between 60 to 70 mph.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Id check the drive belt, primary chain, tire pressure, and be sure your clutch is properly adjusted. Have you had the rear tire replaced recently? The reason I ask is.. A friend of mine took his bike to a shop and had the rear tire replaced. I was following him and noticed something didnt look right. We pulled over and he said his bike was shaking and wasnt pulling good. Upon inspection the axle nut was loose and all adjusters. The wheel has gotten out of alignment, and drive belt was loose. We straightened it all up and torqued it all down and it fixed it. Just something to check. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 AM
bricknermj
Stage IV
Default Dealer Replaced Injectors, But...

Road 400+ files on Thursday with the vbibration. Sure feels like intermittent miss. Took it to a dealer on Friday - they replaced the infectors (FREE!!) - said there was a TSB on them. Ran OK for a 100 or so miles and the vibration is back. Running country roads most of day, got on the interstate to blast home and vibration is very effident at all RPMs. Pull in the clutch and coast and the vibration goes away.

Quick Reply: 70 MPH Vibration