General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no HD riders helped a fellow rider out

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

·Rule of thumb for me is I will slow down if it’s safe to do so
·I try and make eye contact
·If I get waved off I leave
·If I get an I’m screw shrug I stop
·If the rider is wrenching I’ll stop as I carry some basic tools while on the road
·If I break down and you stop great
·if you don’t that’s cool too
passed the 50 yrd line a decade ago

Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not going to make excuses for those who stop or not. The rule of thumb for being broke down is bike turned ariund facing the way you came from or simply put your helmet on the ground by your front wheel and the thumbs up if your OK.That is what I always thought.
Alot of people are so self absorbed to take the time out to help out another. I used to stop and help out a car with a flat from time to time but with people trying to rob you for being a good samaritan its rare if I stop for cars anymore.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't know about any "biker code"... but I know I'll stop.... and if the rider waves me off... I'll continue along.
Was a few blocks from my home the other day, and saw some custom scooter at an intersection. I know it wasn't there a few hours earlier on my outbound leg.
I turned my head to see the "for sale" sign... but there wasn't one.... but there was a guy, walking and talking on a cell.
I went to the next street, and did a u-turn, and came back. Throttle problems. He needed a TORX wrench to fix it. I pulled out a Honda tool, I've had, and he was able to repair his bike.

Some folks are concerned about other riders, and will stop and help regardless of brand.

Some folks would rather talk about "***-less chaps" and 'fingerless gloves"

Old 09-07-2009, 08:16 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
No its called proper grammar, you calling me lazy? But maybe the readers are expecting too much.
Last I heard, this isn't grammar class. And if he was quoting a source, and it was presented without being divvied into paragraphs, then he did it correctly.

Oh yeah, since you want to talk grammar, you forgot the comma after No, and also incorrectly used a comma after grammar. You should've used a semicolon, or ended the sentence and started another one.

But this ain't grammar class, is it?

If you see a bike stopped on the side of the road, you stop. I don't care if you have to go five miles out of your way to do it, it is what you do. If that isn't how you fly, park your scoot and get back into your Yugo.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting---I have been riding for 37 years. Worked on the Interstate for 30 years. This was news to me.

Originally Posted by DJFireUSA

BTW - many riders do NOT know that helmet placement on the ground to the LEFT side of your rear tire is a sign of distress and a request for assistance. If you ARE broken down and do not have a helmet, then put your JACKET or other personal item on the ground in place of the helmet. This is a CLEAR signal to other motorcyclists (mainly bikers) so they know if you want them to stop or not.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see this topic got another resurrection. If I see someone on the side of the road and I can safely stop to check on them, I will. That includes cages as well as bikes. If the people on this forum who preach about doing the right thing will stop for anyone who might need help and don't limit their good works to bikers (or Harleys in particular), then you've got my respect.

A biker is less likely to have someone other than a fellow biker stop to help, so we need to look out for one another in a special way. But why limit our help to bikers? Some of the elderly get flustered more quickly than younger folks, and even though they may have cell phones they may need a bit of direction and/or company until help arrives. Some of the young kids we often **** and moan about could probably use a lesson in helping others, so stopping for a couple of squids wouldn't be a bad thing either. Unless I believe I wouldn't be safe in stopping for one reason or another, I'm not going to ration my helping hand to only those I think worthy of it.

Sorry for the sermon, just sayin.'

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
humbuster
Tourer

There is no brotherhood.

Harley riders are now 2 groups;
1. Poseurs - spend all their time looking at themselves in their review mirrors trying to look so hard while they text their bankers.
2 Grey beards - hate all the group above and do not give a **** about anyone else.

Don't even get me started on all the Fat chicks who can't drive their bikes for ****.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 AM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Interesting---I have been riding for 37 years. Worked on the Interstate for 30 years. This was news to me.
It was news to me too about 8 months ago. Apparently this is a practice within the sportbike world that should spread throughout ALL motorcycle communities. It's an EXCELLENT idea.

Good ideas - I.C.E. in your phone = In Case of Emergency. EMS workers now know to look in your phone for I.C.E. numbers if needed.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Because the younger than 50 crowd, for the most part, don't have that same sense of brotherhood that the over 50 generation has. Remember, those of us over 50 are sons of WWII veterans. A special breed that instilled some of those values in us. Some time after that, someone dropped the ball.
Thats BS, remember the over 50 crowds kids are the younger crowd and if thats the case, Then the over 50 crowd didn't instill their values that were instilled by their fathers in the younger generation. Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. Agree completely. If you are broken down it's on you to make sure that anyone passing knows that. After all, it's you that needs the help. Sorry, but my ESP ain't tuned well enough to divine what your problem is. I guarantee that if you wave me down or give me a thumbs down I will stop and I won't leave until you are on track. The vast majority of bikes I've stopped for are having a cigarette or dealing with something non-critical and that gets old.

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
I understand the thought of coming to the aid of a fellow biker. The problem is, as someone stated above, how do you know if they need help? You know how many bikes I pass parked on the side of the road during a ride? Quite a few.

If I stopped and checked on every bike parked on the side of the road when I ride, I'd never get to where I'm going. The fact is most bikers don't need any help at all and they're stretching, taking a break, getting something out of the bag, taking a sip of water, talking, checking directions and a million other reasons.

Keep a white rag or sock in your bike and maybe other bikers will recognize this as a distress signal. Hang it from the grip or something. Maybe you could signal yourself next time (crossed/waving hands above head) indicating you need assistance. I have stopped many times to help a biker but only because they were on the ground or looked like they needed help.

Understand someone is traveling at 55 or so cannot see clearly what is going on from a distance. To slow down everytime you see something you think could be a disabled rider would disrupt the flow of your own ride, especially when accompanied by other riders. Again, when it turns out that 99% don't need any help, then you're going to get discouraged to ever pull over again.

Riders today pull over for a variety of reasons. If they have a problem, many have cell phones or roadside assistance so they can get help immediately.

Most riders cannot read minds and a rider who's bike is disabled can't telepath their thoughts to the oncoming rider. Give a signal if you truly need help. Then someone will pull over.

Quick Reply: no HD riders helped a fellow rider out