General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger response to emergency braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should live dangerous and turn your head toward her--put your finger in front of your mouth and shush her. The look on her face is always priceless. In answer to the O.P. ---my passenger almost always slides into me and tries to stay on the bike while following the bike as I maneuver to get us out of a situation.
Originally Posted by jimsflh
Mine to follwed by a barrage of cussing me out, then a lecture, but I tune her out at the beginning of the barrage, and just say yes dear. (Of course it's bad when she says "Are you trying to kill me" and you say "yes dear" ..Don't ask me how I know this)

Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Dig in with their heels. We may need that extra inch of stopping power!

Last edited by golfblues; 09-10-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had to make a real emergency stop with a passenger. But like the one poster said... I'd think to dig in with the heels would be what I'd say. More or less what I just tell a new passenger. When we are coming to a stop sign, or light, Put your weight on the footpegs and hold your weight back off me. I don't know about the grab bars, my bike does not have them, nor a backrest. I think the footpegs are a big thing. Passenger should put weight on them and then maybe they would not be slamming their helmet into you, etc. I took the passenger seat off my bike, but that does not keep people from asking me for a ride. I thought it would, but it didn't work.
NTGIRL

Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my skills from my Dad. My brother (who's 11 years older than I), however, was not home that day and missed out. So when growing up, I always had to ride on the back with him to go anyplace. He wrecked often. I, having enough knowledge to recognize that he was about to wreck, would usually jump off and save myself.

For my passengers, I just tell them to hang on and stiffen up their legs. That helps keep them from sliding into me, and causing me to slide up the tank.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sit still, shut up, keep from banging helmets and keep their feet on the floorboards!